Negative set up- Need some DIY mods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My set up is v. negative at the moment and I found this to be a hassle while shore diving.
Gearing up in shallow water, I had to be careful not to damage camera on rocks while attaching my fins etc.

My Set Up – Canon S70, Canon housing WP-DC40, Stobe Inon 2000, 8” Ultralight arms, Inon UCL+UWLs.

All up this arrangement is very negative.
I am looking to attach some foam or similar to the 8” arm.
Any suggestions on how effective this would be to try to increase the buoyancy(or what materials to use)??

Pool Noodle material will compress at depth and lose some of its buoyancy, but it is probably the least expensive solution, and may be quite adequate for your needs. There are several good threads over on wetpixel.com which have links to other (more expensive) solutions using foams that have better properties at depth. Do some searching and I'm sure you will find a solution that works for you.

Kevster:
My set up is v. negative at the moment and I found this to be a hassle while shore diving.
Gearing up in shallow water, I had to be careful not to damage camera on rocks while attaching my fins etc.

My Set Up – Canon S70, Canon housing WP-DC40, Stobe Inon 2000, 8” Ultralight arms, Inon UCL+UWLs.

All up this arrangement is very negative.
I am looking to attach some foam or similar to the 8” arm.
Any suggestions on how effective this would be to try to increase the buoyancy(or what materials to use)??

You should swap out your arms for ultralight boyancy arms. They now have the ultraboyancy arms which are bigger but do provide significant lift. You would want to consider getting longer ones though (more boyancy)..

I actually use 2-12" ones on each side.. Even for Macro work it is just fine as you can get the light whereever you need it.

Buoyancy or lift is created when water is displaced by an object that weighs less than the volume of water that is displaced by that object. If the object is heavier than the volume of water it displaces, it sinks. If the object is equal in weight to the water it displaces, it is considered to be neutrally buoyant and will in theory "suspend".

So to increase lift, you must choose a material to attach to your rig that weighs less that the water you are diving in. Salt water weighs @ 64 pounds per cubic foot, fresh water weighs @ 62 pounds per cubic foot.

You must also take into consideration pressures at various depths and their effect on the chosen material. The deeper you dive, the more potential for compression of the chosen material. At sea level, pressure is measured at 14.7 pounds of pressure per square inch (psi). For every 33' of water depth (one atmosphere, one bar, etc) an additional 14.7 pounds of pressure per square inch is experienced. For instance, at a depth of 66 feet, around 44 psi (3x14.7) is applied to objects.

As mentioned, pool noodles, which weigh much less than the water they displace at sea level, may not offer as much buoyancy benefits the deeper you dive due to the compression of the material. otoh, they may do the trick for you, especially if you dive shallow.

Closed cell foam such as Core-Cell, Divinycell, and Last-A- Foam, will perform much better than pool noodles at the lower end of recreational dive depths. Many closed cell foam products are also easily shaped to create "collars" for additional buoyancy around very negative areas of the camera rig such as wide angle lenses. One key to a good design though is to keep the buoyant material located above the "ballast". Otherwise the camera rig will have the constant, undesirable (imho) tendency to go "belly-up".

Closed cell foam is a very popular material for boat building. If there are any boatyards in your area, ask for a scrap piece.

Spec sheets are available on-line for most closed cell foam products. The data included in a material spec sheet will usually list the weight of the foam and the compression strength. The 1/2" thick, 5 pound rated Core-Cell (weighs @ 5# per cubic foot) wrapped around my strobe arms is durable and rated to withstand pressures well beyond recreational dive limits.

btw:

if a cu ft of core cell weighs 5# and a cu ft of water weighs 64#, then @ 59# of lift would be created by one cu ft of the material.

hth,
b

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom