Negative entry vs Using a downline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The key to configuring a "DIR" rig is that a lot of things have to be taken into consideration. What's the total ballast you require? How does it need to be distributed in order to balance in horizontal trim? What will happen with a wing failure, or a suit flood?

For me, there is really no configuration that won't require at least 5 pounds of weight. I never dive without a wetsuit, and in fact, rarely dive WITH a wetsuit -- it has to be pretty warm water and a short, single dive for me to dive wet. Therefore, there is no dive where I don't require at least 5 pounds of ballast, and using a plate made of lighter material than stainless will just require I put more ballast on. (I do use a light plate with Al80 doubles, because I need to move so much weight to the bottom bolt that having a light plate is advantageous for distribution.).

In some configurations, I have ditchable weight. For example, when I dive at home, I have a 20 lb weight belt that can be jettisoned. In other configurations, I don't -- when I dive Maui with a single Al80 and a wetsuit, I have all my weight on my cambands and it's not ditchable. On the other hand, it would be easy to bring me to the surface with my wing, and make me buoyant there. Once on the surface, some of those weights COULD be removed, if it were critical to do so. A diver who rescued me could bring me to the surface, and once there, make me buoyant with my BC. If it were for some reason malfunctioning, it could be removed altogether. I don't see this as being a big issue.

The key to configuring a "DIR" rig is that a lot of things have to be taken into consideration.
Like whether to use a downline or simply do a hot drop. Which for you?

Sorry folks... the thread was locked by accident. It's open again.

Sorry folks... the thread was locked by accident. It's open again.

And I was SURE this was NetDoc figuring he would get the LAST WORD ! :)

Now it looks more like your exercise in Skinnerian Operant Conditioning from the shark thread.....
And just so you know, I prefer the positive re-inforcement.....I am pretty sure the best for TC will be electric shocks... :)

And I was SURE this was NetDoc figuring he would get the LAST WORD ! :)
Where's the fun in that? If I wanted to always have the last word, I would simply blog.

For example, when I dive at home, I have a 20 lb weight belt that can be jettisoned.
Hell no; not something I'm going to dive. I view a weight belt as a highly sub obtimal solution. You have fun with that much lead on your waist. :D

Again you're overly focused on the gear and not the team. A DIR diver has a DIR buddy.

So that's the only buddy you'll ever dive with? You'll never consider a non-DIR buddy?

Fwiw, the crotch strap is pretty comfy to be towed by, even for hours on end. Much better than your armpits by a BC without one, and I think it would be pretty comical to see what would happen if you clipped of a Suex to a shoulder d-ring and tried to get around. Do you have a lot of scooter dives?
A well-fitted BCD should shift the weight and tow stress to your waist. If it rides up to your armpits it's too loose, and needs resizing. With whatever tether and clip you use to attach the scooter to your D-ring, I'm sure I could use to attach to my BCD on a lower point.

We're not going that fast; there is an upper limit to how fast a small scooter will tow a person. This isn't like a SEAL minisub, and they're not all that fast.

And just so you know, I prefer the positive re-inforcement.
You want positive reinforcement?

Here you go.

th

Lick it or stick to those little things that prove God has a sense of humor, I don't care. :D

A well-fitted BCD should shift the weight and tow stress to your waist. If it rides up to your armpits it's too loose, and needs resizing. With whatever tether and clip you use to attach the scooter to your D-ring, I'm sure I could use to attach to my BCD on a lower point.

We're not going that fast; there is an upper limit to how fast a small scooter will tow a person. This isn't like a SEAL minisub, and they're not all that fast.
I am having trouble understanding this. When you hitch a scooter to your crotch strap D-ring, it pulls you along with no effort on your part at all. You will not feel any tugging on the harness of the backplate whatsoever. you should be able to control the BCD with two fingers on the throttle control only.

Are you describing attaching a scooter to a BCD D-ring and having it pull the BCD along with you in it? Are you saying that will not pull the BCD forward, dragging you along with it? I ask because I have never seen anything like it being done.

I make a point to dive with DIR divers.

So you've never ridden a scooter like we're talking about? Its not a pool toy like a bladefish.

So you've never ridden a scooter like we're talking about? Its not a pool toy like a bladefish.

stick your hand in the prop when it's running and not underwater. it's not for weenies.

Are you describing attaching a scooter to a BCD
D-ring and having it pull the BCD along with you in it? Are you saying that will
not pull the BCD forward, dragging you along with it? I ask because I have never
seen anything like it being done.
Just like your scooter pulls your
harness, along with you in it. The thrust is still delivered to
you.

Attach it low, to a well-fitted BCD, just like you do. It shouldn't
ride up on you.

So it's what...4 or 5 mph? :shocked2:

There is an upper limit to the speed of this craft.

So what if you go on a trip/dive and there are no DIR divers, you sit it out? You seem like you're unnecessarily limiting yourself, and what DaleC said was right; DIR divers isolate themselves from the general population...and from most of the greatest stuff that diving has to offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom