Negative entry vs Using a downline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel, lots of areas in Belize, or any place where the coral reef towers high above the diver and where the diver is moving through complex structures. Your line will snag on the structures above, entangling you and damaging the coral. You will also not be able to enjoy any of the swim throughs.

Good examples.....And actually I have dived both in cozumel and at Belize.....

Fiji also has some great swim-through dives....in a situation where you PLAN to do a tour all around a pinacle, and run through a swim through, the towed flag will not make sense....One option we have with my present torpedo, is that it has an overpressure relief valve on it...so I can do the run around the pinnacle, then the swim through...and then if desirable....we could begin a mile long drift by sending up the torpedo....OR, you just treat this dive as one where you will spend all the time in this one place.....I see it as getting down to whether or not there is an advantage is being able to go far from the starting point .... If we are going to do the whole dive in one place, then there is no reason to bother with anything but the anchor line. Obviously.
But to your point...in some of the pinalcles dives in Fiji, I would NOT have wanted to tow the torpedo...it would not have allowed seeing the 360 degree run around the structure, which was awesome. And there was a nice current, but one that is beatable when desired.

On other dives there, the drift was nice...and we got to cover much more --to SEE and Explore much more, with 100% of the dive going with the current, and not having to re-trace our steps. So...In some destinations around the world, there may be structures that don't lend themselves to drift techniques, for "SOME" of the dive sites :)
Thanks!

So now that you can see what we use the torpedo and drift dives for.....let's get to types of dives where this would be either stupid or not optimal...or also good...etc.

I am aware of one dive operator in Pemba, Tanzania (on the East African coast near Zanzibar) that insists on all their dive guides towing an SMB on every dive. Can be hard work in strong current and/or strong winds.

I am informed it was as a result of a tragic incident where most of a dive group including an experienced dive guide were lost in the Pemba channel, never to be found.

An exotic location with fab diving if you ever get a chance to travel to that part of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 4th, 2014 at 11:06 PM ----------

Topography there is of complex sets of fringing reefs which can occasionally result in opposing currents at different depths, although mostly not and mostly easy diving in good 45 - 60' vis with spectacular healthy coral. The SMB is for an extra level of safety and easier for the boat captain to follow.

Other operators in the same area and on the same sites choose not to do this. And I have dived similar conditions in the Far East where this was not done either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dan, ah finally . . . You have remembered that the world is larger than Florida AND you've remembered to apply your own experience outside of Florida to a discussion on SB. I'm also enjoying your new posting approach.

Still puzzled about the DIR way of enjoying wildlife. Is it SOP to encircle thereby stressing a turtle giving it no way out away from the divers?

Riffe's are bullet proof but I like the omer master, the center d-rings are nice "mid point" to attach the leash.

OMER - Master Torpedo Float

MAKO Spearguns also sells several different surface floats. Some with Flag holders some without. Most scuba divers that will be pulling a float will probably want it to include a dive flag.

Inflatable floats are most beneficial for traveling divers who have space limitations. They are tough, but can be punctured.

We offer an EXTREMELY rugged surface float with an optional flag that is very easy to tow. It has hand holds on the sides and front. It is what ocean lifeguards often use as a "rescue can". They use a shoulder strap (and no flag) but this float is designed to provide a lot of buoyancy, yet still be manageable through surf.

These same attributes of ruggedness, hand holds (for a tired person on the surface) and also streamlined design make it an excellent platform for a dive flag. This float/flag is MUCH easier to tow than a "normal" scuba float/flag and it will not be pulled under in most any current a scuba diver would attempt to dive in.

The optional, external lead weight acts as a keel and allows the flag to remain upright, even when towed in a strong current and moderately rough seas. We have an optional "Florida Legal" dive flag which meets the required size AND includes the required flag stiffener. We even include a plastic ball at the top of the flag pole to add a measure of safety.

We think you will be amazed at how little drag this float/flag generates when being towed. It is definitely far superior than what most scuba divers are presently using because it won't get pulled under by the current, it will make very little drag and it has the ability to support a diver at the surface.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Hawaiian-Hard-Float-p/mhhf2.htm

MHHF2-2.jpg

mhhfr-i-weight_dtl.jpg

MAKO Spearguns also sells several different surface floats. Some with Flag holders some without. Most scuba divers that will be pulling a float will probably want it to include a dive flag.

Now if you could produce a float that repels boaters and other watercraft idiots - wow that would be a game changer!

Still puzzled about the DIR way of enjoying wildlife. Is it SOP to encircle thereby stressing a turtle giving it no way out away from the divers?

Chilly, you KNOW that is not DIR.....DIR was not made for photographers or videographers...but those of us that "ARE" DIR and that shoot stills or video, try to reconcile much between the two, often contradictory mindsets.

If I follow a turtle, getting good footage for a video, this can mean annoying the turtle at some point....though this is usually related to the individual personality of the turtle--as we have many turtle videos where I swim in, and then the turtle matches paces and swims along with us for over 10 minutes.....and, there are plenty of turtles that just don't want to be bothered, and that when my proximity starts to bother them enough, they take off like a formula one race car leaving behind some tractors and a wheel barrow...If the turtle WANTS to go anywhere, he will. **Note...I am not talking about waking sleeping turtles, which I don't do, and which could cause them to drown....them being upset by this is an entirely different issue than coming up to feeding and foraging turtle....Like this one...
[video=youtube_share;5txPrjwCziU]http://youtu.be/5txPrjwCziU[/video]
This one did not care, and in fact, almost seemed to enjoy proximity with us....I do have plenty of footage showing a turtle that is clearly following us, and swimming with us on purpose.
Norine Rouse, used to have many turtles that knew her by sight, and that would come up to her and spend entire dives with her every single time they saw her...particularly her famous loggerhead turtle friend "Robert"...

Norine Rouse is a huge story all by herself, as she was one of the TOP Turtle behaviorists of all time....see this story that includes a lot on her, here :Turtles

I have also worked with Larry Woods from the Juno Beach Marine Life Center, on turtle rescues.....as when divers have seen a turtle that swallowed hook and line, and the turtle is obviously in serious trouble--and needs to be removed from the water and taken to their facility to have the hooks and lines removed surgically. .... so maybe the Karma will even out.

Dan, I can think of a few dives we did in Komodo where towing a float would not be practical ... dives with a LOT of current. We did these dives by dropping in upstream of a pinnacle, drifting down to it, and hiding behind it once we were on the structure. It's not possible to go around the pinnacle ... once you hit current you turn around and go back into the "shadow" of the lee side. When you're ready to leave the site, you shoot a bag and let the current take you ... the boat comes and picks you up.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have also worked with Larry Woods from the Juno Beach Marine Life Center, on turtle rescues.....

Shout out for Larry! For sure a turtle expert. Dove with him last year. Truly a great American.

Chilly, you KNOW that is not DIR.....DIR was not made for photographers or videographers...but those of us that "ARE" DIR and that shoot stills or video, try to reconcile much between the two, often contradictory mindsets.

If I follow a turtle, getting good footage for a video, this can mean annoying the turtle at some point....though this is usually related to the individual personality of the turtle--as we have many turtle videos where I swim in, and then the turtle matches paces and swims along with us for over 10 minutes.....and, there are plenty of turtles that just don't want to be bothered, and that when my proximity starts to bother them enough, they take off like a formula one race car leaving behind some tractors and a wheel barrow...If the turtle WANTS to go anywhere, he will.

Cheng and I have had that experience in several places. Often I'll swim on one side of the turtle and she on the other ... so we can get each other in the background of the picture. The turtle, at any time of its choosing, can simply swim away in front of us if it wants to. Sometimes they do, and sometimes not. We had one encounter in the Maldives when we followed the turtle till we decided we were getting too far from the rest of our divers, so we stopped and started swimming back ... and the turtle turned around and followed us!

I'm curious, Dan ... what is it about DIR that you believe is not compatible with photography? I ask because I have friends who are very much DIR who regularly carry cameras and/or video equipment. I've never known them to be anything other than excellent team mates ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cheng and I have had that experience in several places. Often I'll swim on one side of the turtle and she on the other ... so we can get each other in the background of the picture. The turtle, at any time of its choosing, can simply swim away in front of us if it wants to. Sometimes they do, and sometimes not. We had one encounter in the Maldives when we followed the turtle till we decided we were getting too far from the rest of our divers, so we stopped and started swimming back ... and the turtle turned around and followed us!

I'm curious, Dan ... what is it about DIR that you believe is not compatible with photography? I ask because I have friends who are very much DIR who regularly carry cameras and/or video equipment. I've never known them to be anything other than excellent team mates ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
In the original application of DIR, for several divers to safely reach the greatest challenges....the pure DIR concept for hitting the 3 mile mark at Wakkulla, or, later, in our deep wreck and deep 280 foot reef explorations--was about only doing what was optimal on the dive, and as video would have taken the shooter's awareness away from the amount of peripheral awareness they should have had at ALL times for what was going on with each buddy in the team, and what was going on around them, and what all the issues were with time, gas left, etc.....In the early pushes leading up to the first 3 mile mark at Wakulla, George would allow no one to bring cameras in to the exploration level penetrations--he felt it was too likely that if would cause a "charley fox trot" scenario.....Ultimately, they evolved procedures for a team to have as their mission, to be watching the video guys.......Ultimately, the WKPP TRAINED an elite group of underwater videographers from NHK Japan, that were willing to do 2 weeks of WKPP boot Camp, in order to get the never before seen footage of deep in Cave --that the NHK team ultimately shot.This NHK team began as top cave divers and shooters....and the "Boot Camp" would have made Fundies look like tea and crumpets with Grandma....George was amazed at how well these guys did, and so he evolved the concept of allowing a photographer or video shooter as a "Dependent Buddy".... there could be no such thing as a 2 man DIR buddy team where one was shooting....but there could be a 3 man team with one shooter--the shooter always considered the dependent buddy because you have to assume they will be oblivious to problems a real DIR buddy would notice PROACTIVELY, AND would solve for --- prior to them becoming emergency issues...the shooter if good at his/her art, will be engrossed in the creation of the ideal shot(s), and it will not be possible for them to be as aware as they SHOULD in order for this Proactive Strategy to have any usefulness --and this is a big part of DIR.

So...When Sandra and I dive on Juno Reef, as a buddy team, I can't say this is all DIR.....I spend a lot of my time making sure I know where she is every second, which is a challenge as she will see a shot, and move to frame it, and this can take her out of my line of sight if I am not watching her like a hawk....Obviously, I am trying to be her DIR buddy, but as for myself, I am diving SOLO by DIR standards....I justify this in my own mind, by knowing that I can do 90 foot freedives with relative ease, so I know I could not drown if I had an OOA from a catastrophic gear failure.....and back in the 70's and 80's I used to do up to 120 foot free ascents for practice and for fun...they are very easy. If at the end of a 25 minute duration at 90 feet, this would not be healthy to perform, so clearly I want better options---which means always having her in line of sight--and within easy breath-hold reach....and more importantly, the only way to make this nonsensical approach anything but foolish, is to have Bill Mee with us as a 3rd buddy....and Bill watches Sandra, and if she ducks down into a coral hole or something, he is high enough in the water column for me to see him, and for him to see her. Better still, would be a 4th team mate, so Bill would have an ideal buddy, but we have found that I can track him so well, even shooting video, that he is not compromised on these recreational depth dives....

If we are talking a 280 foot dive, it would be one shooter, and 2 buddies with the dependent shooter. And I won't bring Sandra deeper than 160 and still have a camera in my hands, because I feel that the challenge is high enough, that my buddy responsibility to her has increased to the point that I don't have any business cutting in to my peripheral awareness by trying to frame shots.

Bob--this is my take on DIR and shooting.....Since I had a big hand in developing a lot of this early conceptualizing for ocean and shooting, I think it is fair that I take a shot at trying to answer this very good question by you.
As PfcAJ has suggested, DIR has EVOLVED a lot since George and Bill and I were making sh*t up as we went, and compiling our list of do's and don'ts in the 90's. My take on this needs to be challenged by other DIR's, that have strong feelings on aspects of this....it requires the critical discussion that used to occur with all the diving parameters in the 90's....Discussions that really were inadequate to create a bullet-proof overview for DIR photographers today.

*** PPS
Visit The DIR 3 video
[video=youtube_share;TD4K0SzZijI]http://youtu.be/TD4K0SzZijI?t=1h50s[/video]
and pull the timeline cursor under the video to the 1 hour and 50 second mark---which is where you can see the NHK underwater footage which was so groundbreaking at the time....this really is amazing video.....And of course, moving ahead on the timeline like this, means that none of you guys that hate DIR or me, need to watch anything other than amazing underwater cave footage....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom