Negative entry vs Using a downline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure I would for entertainment. I enjoy the old stories a lot. The WKPP also used to use colored bands for gas identification, air to 190, added compressed air into their Tekna scooters, much lighter on the Helium past that, 240 gas (at 240'), and other fun and interesting historical tidbits. Hell I have a video of Parker in '88 with a helmet light.That doesn't mean its a good idea, esp in 2014 when we know better.

My point is that saying you "do" these dives (as in nowadays) vs "did" these dives 20some years ago is a bit different. What you're describing isn't "DIR". Not enough gas is not DIR. Sry, I don't really care what was done in the past (other than 'hey thats neato'). Lets keep history separate from today's practices.

Don't be fooled. Nothing about the dive Dan is describing is DIR.

The tables we were using were 1997 through 2003....Then I stopped tech for a few years, and now if Bill and I want to do tech, these are the tables we will use. NOT the GUE tables.
Note. I always had enough gas to get Myself and either George or Bill, to the 20 foot stop --but using the tables we use-not the deep and long stops of present day GUE.

As to your choice of tables.....I think you are better off with the GUE tables. I think I am better off with the George tables. This set of tables was used for the world record deep cave dives in the late nineties, and George used them until he stopped cave diving--in other words, this was DIR. The gas amounts we dove with in ocean, WERE DIR. Now the dual 72 independents, on deep air, that preceded DIR :)

The colored band stuff and deep air , was before any of the stuff that later became known as DIR. Parker was way before DIR.

The air to 190 wasn't. I'm pretty sure George talks about it in DIR 1 video.
That could be...that was in the infancy of DIR...it was evolving....Which is of course, your point....all this evolution, and I am talking like a dinosaur :)

Don't be fooled. Nothing about the dive Dan is describing is DIR.
Oh, so he's like the rest of us dangerous divers who all do it wrong?
11.gif

But he proclaims himself as one of the annointed few who "Do It Right"...

If there is a current, the prudent thing is descend holding onto a line rather than jumping in to make blue water descent. Personally I'd be very reluctant to follow your method. Besides finding an equipment issue at depth, you run the risk of buddy separation.

Negative entries are quite common from Zodiacs. There are two main reasons for this:

1) surface currents could carry the diver away from the reef. Being under water quickly ensures better orientation and better buddy contact when there is a lot of surface chop.

2) Zodiacs, being what they are, have at least one high-powered motor and as such are meat grinders just waiting for the one diver who didn't descend fast enough so that arms, legs and heads can be chopped open (or off) by some little mistake. Zodiacs are 1000 times more dangerous to divers than most aggressive sharks. The only way to be safe around a zodiac is to (a) get the hell underwater where you're safe from the propeller and (b) never *ever* ascent near a zodiac without using a blob.

R..

2) Zodiacs, being what they are, have at least one high-powered motor and as such are meat grinders just waiting for the one diver who didn't descend fast enough so that arms, legs and heads can be chopped open (or off) by some little mistake. Zodiacs are 1000 times more dangerous to divers than most aggressive sharks. The only way to be safe around a zodiac is to (a) get the hell underwater where you're safe from the propeller and (b) never *ever* ascent near a zodiac without using a blob.

R..

Or you could make sure you're diving from a boat that has a prop guard.

If your dive requires that you make a choice between an increased risk of drowning or an increased risk of being meat-grindered, you might want to reconsider the dive parameters.

flots

This whole discussion is missing one main ingredient, sans the ego and hubris. Location, location, location. Different localities and different dive platforms call for different entry strategies. I have done plenty of hot drops, and folowed plenty of travel lines to the anchor line to the wreck.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. I try to refrain from any mindset that refuses to accept that the dive location and conditions dictate the dive plan. Following the logic in this thread spin off, we should all do hot drops in caves as well?????
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom