Needing help..would love some direction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about aeris-- manta or xr-2 ? which has less function to select on mode than others? and easier to read at once instead trying to figure out what it tell you from look at it when need to push button compare to suuto zoob. i am newbie dive also, what do you think of aeris?

what about aeris-- manta or xr-2 ? which has less function to select on mode than others? and easier to read at once instead trying to figure out what it tell you from look at it when need to push button compare to suuto zoob. i am newbie dive also, what do you think of aeris?
The Oceanic Geo (essentially the same computer as the Aeris Manta) had some major battery issues. Although it was advertised as having a user-replaceable battery, owners had to short-circuit the computer following battery replacement and even then that was only a temporary fix. Other users reported "EL2" and "EL3" error display issues.

I realize that Oceanic may have addressed some (hopefully all) of these problems in the Version 2.0 of the Geo, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

No dive computer from any manufacturer is guaranteed against failures. If you look hard enough, a small number of any dive computer brand/model will show/has shown failures. However, from what I've read, it seems like the Oceanic Geo was a lemon. I wouldn't want to spend my money on v2.0 of a lemon.

I have no personal experience with either the Manta or the XR-2. If given the choice between the two, I'd probably pick the XR-2. It's a simple, puck-style computer, and I can't recall reading owner complaints about any battery issues.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your traumatic experience.

Regarding dive computers I have 3 suggestions:

a) Use the Dive Computers Research Tool to figure out what is out there and make comparisons

b) Take the Introduction to Dive Computers online class to understand the theory of operation behind dive computers (and compare them to tables)

c) Whatever computer you end up buying, make sure to learn how to properly operate it by reading the manual, take the related online class and do a specialty with a qualified instructor.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am planning on taking some more classes this summer and doing some easy dives with my fiance. There are so many options out there for equipment so it will probably take a while for me to decide but its great to know I can come back here for any questions I have. Thanks

Your equipment is as good as you know how to use it!!!

As a new diver you can look into something simple and inexpensive. Your using regular air or are you trained for Nitrox. too?

Either way a PDC can cover both aspects.

I'd recommend the Oceanic Atom 2.0 which comes with a wireless transmitter for use presently or as you develop. or the Atom 3.0 without a trans. These are good choices they are easy to you and reliable.

Anytime you need help in using one or for info simply post me.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom