Needed gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verybaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, decided to actually make the ol' plunge and eventually invest in the diving equipment I need for the time being. I live in the UK and plan to do mostly dry suit diving, although I would like the equipment to be pool usable, so that I can practice in my nearby pool.
here is the equipment i'm purchasing:-
i'll be day diving so i don't see the point of a large light, i'll buy a can light when and if i decide to night/cavern dive. I will probably eventually need to glue an extra pocket to my dry suit, but currently don't think I have a need for wet notes so haven't bothered.

Just wondering if i've covered everything I need, suggestions of what I need and haven't remembered, things i dont need and have included, and suggestions about the items i haven't yet chosen, or don't know how much i need

, thanks for any help.

(ps took me a while to understand (vb) :/

verybaddiver:
i'll be day diving so i don't see the point of a large light, i'll buy a can light when and if i decide to night/cavern dive. I will probably eventually need to glue an extra pocket to my dry suit, but currently don't think I have a need for wet notes so haven't bothered.

Just wondering if i've covered everything I need, suggestions of what I need and haven't remembered, things i dont need and have included, and suggestions about the items i haven't yet chosen, or don't know how much i need

, thanks for any help.

You may want to reconsider your light decision. Even though you don't plan on doing any cave/night diving, a primary light is very useful in open water diving as a signalling device, especially in low viz.

Mel

VBD,
When are you planning on taking fundamentals? I always suggest that people have a conversation with their fundies instructor before purchasing gear, an instructor, or other GUE-trained divers in your area will be a great resource for some accessories that are key to your area.

One thing that jumps out: what kind of tanks are you using? Why did you choose the 40# over the 30# Eclipse, why Alum BP over SS?

mer:
One thing that jumps out: what kind of tanks are you using? Why did you choose the 40# over the 30# Eclipse, why Alum BP over SS?

1/. Al80's (it's what my local dive shop uses)
2/. 40# is the choice the website selling the BC advises for the uk
3/. i want less weight so i can pool practice

not sure when the next fundies class is but they generally run them in june and january. So i'm guessing Jan '06 before i take it

verybaddiver:
1/. Al80's (it's what my local dive shop uses)
2/. 40# is the choice the website selling the BC advises for the uk
3/. i want less weight so i can pool practice

not sure when the next fundies class is but they generally run them in june and january. So i'm guessing Jan '06 before i take it

1. I would suggest picking up some steel tanks, you won't have to deal with the tank going positively buoyant towards the end of your dive, especially with bulky drysuit undergarments that add to your positive buoyancy.

2. The 40# wing is a bit of overkill for single tank drysuit diving, you may want to consider a smaller wing, like the Eclipse 30 #

3. Al or steel BP, you'll still need the same weight to sink you, even if you're in a pool. If it's not on your back, it'll be on your waist. The steel plate will get more weight off your belt and onto your back to keep you in better trim.

Mel

Since you posted this on the DIR subforum I'm assumeing that you are commited to learning/diving DIR. So a couple of suggestions:

1) Find the local DIR guys in your area and meet with them... they'll give you a better idea of the appropriate gear for your local waters. They'll probably have some extra single wings and backplates around for you to try (we all end up with more than 1 BP). There might even be some hand me downs you could use. Remember that LDS's may not fully understand the DIR concepts... so listen to their sales talk with caution.

2) Find a mentor. The DIR guys I've met are fully commited to improving not only their diving but to helping the newbies along... They will help you with the things they can and point you in the right direction.

3) Take the class... as soon as you can. sorry if I'm sounding like the choir... and continous contact with the instructor cadre is a good way to keep in touch with the local DIR community and to meet new DIR buddies.

one more thing... find a good buddy that you can train with for the class... you might want to contact the local instructor and see if there is anyone near you that's in the same situation.

Good Luck

Ben_ca:
one more thing... find a good buddy that you can train with for the class... you might want to contact the local instructor and see if there is anyone near you that's in the same situation.

Good Luck

Ben,

Most of what you wrote I agree with, however I disagree about "training" for the DIR-F class. The last thing I want my students doing prior to the class is "training".

The class is called FUNDAMENTALS for a specific reason, and more often then not what the student is "training" only later serves to ingrain the very habits we are trying hard to change, correct or improve.

Memo to all future DIR-F students:

STOP TRAINING!!!!

Take the class first, learn how we teach you to practice and try to hang with buddies that will give an honest critique [ video taping will also work]..

Ben, sorry if it was harsh as it wasn't aimed at you, I'm just trying to get the message across to future students and I hear all too often that students are "training" to take a DIR-F class..

Regards

Ye once again the dive shop gives less than optimal advice :), dive shops suck!
Now thinking the #30 is definitely the right choice.
About the alum/steel backplate, i'm really not sure if the steel is a good choice for fresh water? its probably fine.
You're probably right about the tanks, i'm actually starting to think the dive shop might have a choice anyways.

Also can I point out most of my original question hasn't been answered :>
Just wondering if i've covered everything I need, suggestions of what I need and haven't remembered, things I don't need and have included, and suggestions about the items I haven't yet chosen, or don't know how much I need.
I would particually like suggestions on how much bike tubing and bungee you need to set up a basic rig, with enough to spare.

MHK:
Ben,

Most of what you wrote I agree with, however I disagree about "training" for the DIR-F class. The last thing I want my students doing prior to the class is "training".

The class is called FUNDAMENTALS for a specific reason, and more often then not what the student is "training" only later serves to ingrain the very habits we are trying hard to change, correct or improve.

Memo to all future DIR-F students:

STOP TRAINING!!!!

Take the class first, learn how we teach you to practice and try to hang with buddies that will give an honest critique [ video taping will also work]..

Ben, sorry if it was harsh as it wasn't aimed at you, I'm just trying to get the message across to future students and I hear all too often that students are "training" to take a DIR-F class..

Regards

MHK,
No nead to appologize... My choice of words was poor. Maybe I should have said just dive and get your DIR rig together the best you can. :) By all means take the class ASAP

verybaddiver:
Just wondering if i've covered everything I need, suggestions of what I need and haven't remembered, things I don't need and have included, and suggestions about the items I haven't yet chosen, or don't know how much I need.
I would particually like suggestions on how much bike tubing and bungee you need to set up a basic rig, with enough to spare.

Bungee: A couple yards, You'll find it useful for your backup necklace, securing items in your pockets and other things.... Just pick a a bunch

Bike Tubing: Just get some from a friend and start cutting it up in strips (I think mine are about 1/2 inch)

Wetnotes: You'll need these for class so get these as soon as you can.

Have you found any DIR divers in your area? Do you know who's your local instructor? MHK can help you with that :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom