Needed gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK:
Ben,

Most of what you wrote I agree with, however I disagree about "training" for the DIR-F class. The last thing I want my students doing prior to the class is "training".

The class is called FUNDAMENTALS for a specific reason, and more often then not what the student is "training" only later serves to ingrain the very habits we are trying hard to change, correct or improve.

Personally, I would train, provided you have access to others who can dive with you and give correct guidance. After you train, take DIR-F and see if you are still issued a Provisional Rating, I would be curious to hear.

Almost every post I've ever read from divers taking DIR-F included them recieving a provisional rating, instead of actually passing the course. I feel this is one factor that keeps many divers away from DIR-F and reinforces the "elitist" image that many divers have of DIR. I agree with the training, I'm just not up for the DIR-F class.

hermosadive, the class does an extraordinary job of showing you exactly what your limitations are and where you should be.. but above all how to get there. Every diver is up for the DIR-F class.

jonnythan:
hermosadive, the class does an extraordinary job of showing you exactly what your limitations are and where you should be.. but above all how to get there. Every diver is up for the DIR-F class.

Sorry to lead the thread astray. I agree with Jonnythan and MHK: Take the class then train... this will ensure that you are getting off on the right foot

Let's get back to the subject

Very Bad Diver: Add X shorts or pockets to your list and like Melfox says a cannister light is a great thing to have... The benefits are in passive and active communications... wait till you dive as a team with these lights and you'll know what I mean

VeryBadDiver,

Try www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk - it's a good site.

MC Storage Pak - most who have it don't use it myself included.
Spools can be bought cheaper! Torches - well I'd not bother with 2 scouts for the time being. In fact you'd be better off diving with a few DIR blokes to get used to your kit first and then add the kit as you progress and that includes HID canister light.
BTW A can light is used by DIR guys as a means of communication in addition to lighting.

Tanks - normally 12L Steel with DIN Valves - ALI is not the norm in the UK irrespective of DIR or not. Go for a Steel Backplate with a Steel tank - it makes drysuit weighting a bit easier. Make sure your regs are DIN and not A Clamp but buy a DIN to A Clamp converter for diving abroad.

Knife - go for a Diverite Pocket knife - it's small and can be mounted on the left hand side of the harness with webbing.

Clips - go for the larger boltsnaps particularly for the contents gauge as in the UK dexterity is affected by cold water/use of gloves.

The DIR instructors are Andy Kerslake and Rich Walker - try www.gasdiving.co.uk. Rich is based in Sheffield.

Also log on to www.yorkshiredivers.co.uk - there's a DIR section that is UK based where you can ask further questions on UK conditions.

One thing I didn't see you mention a DSMB - you'll need one for UK conditions.

BTW One more thing - in your position I'd buy nothing until you speak to Rich or Andy -it'll save you a lot of money and time.

Thanks everyone (dbulmer especially).

'MC' storage pak is part of the package, so I may as well take it. You're right about the scouts, I included them because they were only £59 each. The spool is especially designed for cold water, i see this as a large benefit, and only ~£35 anyways.

Never heard of the dive rite pocket knife, have you maybe got a link to it? I will probably add shears to my package too, since you can get them for under £3.

Will get 3 metres of bungee (will ask whether 3mm or 5mm). I still disagree with wet notes at the minute especially since I will need a new dry suit pocket to store it, I will add them before I do the fundies though.

I will probably purchase X-shorts/din - a-clamp converter if I go on holiday.

About the can light, if it really is an important piece of gear I will consider adding one, i'm setting my budget at £2000 +/- £50. So will probably be able to get one. As for dsmb, i'm still open for suggestions about size etc.

I make it as ~ £1489 without dsmb/knife/clips/booties?/wet boots? so i'm guessing ~£100 to spend on dsmb/clips/knife. should be do-able. :> that is leaving £475 for a can light.

I will contact RichW on yorkshire divers when i'm ready to spend. (ps I wouldn't just order them anyways, without getting advice from a DIR instructor, I just wanted other peoples advice as well, since I made the mistake very early in my diving career taking 'dive shop recommendations'.

(ps as for DIR compatibility i'm pretty good imo, being that i swim 5+ miles a week, regulary gym, have a healthy diet, don't smoke, and very rarely drink. :) )

VeryBadDiver,
UnderWater Explorers have the dive rite knife - try www.dirdirect.com. I don't think they have a picture of them but they do sell them - ie that's where I got mine.

Bungee- I use the the 5mil stuff .. in black of course :) It's good for necklace backup reg and bungeed fins if you don't have stainless steel finstraps. 3 mil I keep coz I like it :) With the HID you may find it better not to buy one initially - this is an area where diving with DIR blokes comes in handy as you have to learn how to handle the things properly in and out of the water. Mer has already pointed out the progressive nature of DIR and before you make an expensive purchase your buddies will want to see you competent in basic skills before adding more task loading.

DSMB (blobs in the UK) - this is a difficult one for me to answer. If you look at the Bitz site you'll see the one that I and my buddy as well as countless others have
(BTW look on the site at how the blob was modified - you really need to modify it) but there are others ie the Halcyon ones which some people buy and swear by. IMHO I'm not competent enough to advise you on this - you really ought to speak to some UK DIR blokes. BTW if you don't have a pocket on your drysuit you could buy a DiveRite leg pocket , cut the excess material off it and then put it on your harness. The pocket would be big enough to store a blob and spool but naff all else will go in it apart from wet notes.

(ps as for DIR compatibility i'm pretty good imo, being that i swim 5+ miles a week,
regulary gym, have a healthy diet, don't smoke, and very rarely drink. )

Ahhhh, but if they don't like you ..... :)

BTW If you really do want to get a HID light, try www.divingniknaks.com.
A lot of people like the Barry Miller Salvos.

dbulmer:
BTW if you don't have a pocket on your drysuit you could buy a DiveRite leg pocket , cut the excess material off it and then put it on your harness. The pocket would be big enough to store a blob and spool but naff all else will go in it apart from wet notes.

I would steer you away from the DiveRite Leg pocket... they never stay where they are supposed to and end up creating alot of drag. Purchase after market pockets from Halcyon or others and attach them to the sides of your legs (not front) the height should place the flap where your fingers fall naturally. This could either be two bellows pockets, or one flat(right) and one bellows. Typical minimum gear you will carry on a recreational dive are: wetnotes and spare double ender in right pocket, mask and spool in left. The DSMB or liftbag goes in the MC pack on the BP.

Mer,
I've never seen a DIR diver over here use one - and most have one.

The DiveRite Pocket is a solution but not optimal as you say however in my own experience it stays where it is provided it's under your armpit and you have something to prevent it from sliding ie a buckle - it's on the harness where the can light would be.

I have pockets on my drysuit but in the wrong place and they are zippered. When I do DIRF a new suit will one of the outcomes :)

Mer,
Whoops!, I was referring to the MC! The drag from my incorrectly placed pockets is whole lot worse than the pocket - I am aware of the less than optimal nature of all this but like so many others in a fit of excitement I ended up buying the wrong suit and have come to regret it - hopefully VeryBadDiver will get the right pockets and get the placement right.

One thing I noticed was your mention of typical minimum gear - spare mask for a recreational dive? I thought the spare mask was for tech diver and while a spare mask might be handy that it was not a requirement for open water recreational dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom