Need your advice- Bunaken or Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well you won't go wrong with either place. Bunaken is quite nice, very easy diving, nice coral and macro - not a whole lot in the way of big stuff, but some. I was there in November 2009. Komodo diving can be challenging and it's certainly more spread out, but there's very few things (if any) that you can find in Bunaken that you can't also find in abundance in Komodo + there's tons of big fish, sharks, and mantas (I would argue more diverse corals as well). Don't write off the land based operators in Komodo entirely, the best sites aren't more than 2.5 hours by boat and generally the boats are big and comfortable and there's a lot to be said for sleeping on solid ground and eating where you want to. LOB's are a great way to go too but cabin fever, or a bad group of people (customers or staff) can really take your trip down a notch - but this can work in reverse as well. Komodo all the way for me. November is an ideal time as the South will have cleared up by then and the North is also available.

-Scotty

the best sites aren't more than 2.5 hours by boat and generally the boats are big and comfortable and there's a lot to be said for sleeping on solid ground and eating where you want to. LOB's are a great way to go too but cabin fever, or a bad group of people (customers or staff) can really take your trip down a notch - but this can work in reverse as well. Komodo all the way for me. November is an ideal time as the South will have cleared up by then and the North is also available.

-Scotty
I would agree with you Scotty about the benefits of daytrips over LOB, the problem being in Komodo that the operators I have seen ARE NOT USING big and comfortable boats...
...that's also another story when one month ago, diving on Batu Bolong our group was lucky to get rescued by another operation dive boat since ours was drifting away 400m from us, engine broken down. :shocked2:

I simply don't understand why some daydives operators in Komodo do not invest in a good comfortable dive boats like the ones in Thailand, since it's quite a trip to get from LBJ to Komodo dive sites!
Probably there are reliable dive operators, the one I used definitely didn't belong to this catagory. :eyebrow:

May I digress and throw in a comment? Batu Bolong.. one of my all time favorite dives!
Ripping currents.. huge fish and sharks coming right at you and then tons of macro on the wall! Fun ..fun..fun dive!

I'll put my vote in for Komodo over Bunaken as well. Also just because you know about Lembeh that isn't the samething as experiencing it. Lembeh is a magical place you should check it out someday. Then again it's already getting to popular so maybe you shouldn't.

Tks to Chinacat, Luko, scuba scotty and all previous posts. Your inputs have been a great source of information to me. I think I have made up my mind and we will probably be going to Komodo. I have been in contact with Grand Komodo. Mona Lisa is fully booked.

Any comments regarding one of Grand Komodo's boat and boat crew, the MV Tarata ? What are people's recent impression of this boat and their operation? Are the DMs experienced and knowledgeable?

Tks Tapas Bali. We will have around 6 days for Komodo.

DiveKomodo is fully booked for that month. Looking at Grand Komodo right now. Do you have an recent update on their boat, the MV Tarata, and their dive operation? knowledgeable and helpful DMs?

Tks.

Tks Tapas Bali. We will have around 6 days for Komodo.

DiveKomodo is fully booked for that month. Looking at Grand Komodo right now. Do you have an recent update on their boat, the MV Tarata, and their dive operation? knowledgeable and helpful DMs?

Tks.

We haven't been on this particular GK boat (we were aboard the Putri Paqpua in RA), but it is a well-run operation, using dive guides that they rotate among the areas they serve ... Komodo, RA, etc. The guides are all very professional and knowledgeable. Boats are comfortable, food is local style and very good. GK has been around in Indo a long time ... we would definitely use them again. If you're not looking for a gold plate liveaboard, I think you'll be very satisfied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom