Need waterproof container to dive with, must be able to open underwater....details in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can you open a pelican case under pressure?
Not unless you can equalize it....

OP, what volume container do you need? Pint-size jar? Quart? Gallon?

A Ziploc bag would be perfect if perhaps not dignified enough.

An underwater light housing (like an Underwater Kinetics) of sufficient volume and with the sealing o-ring and the batteries and light-head removed. Maybe a little tape around the join.

Without the o-ring it will flood slowly and, once fully flooded, be easy to open at depth.

Another option would be to sew the ashes in a cotton canvas bag since that is how uncremated remains are traditionally buried at sea. The bag could be cut open or placed to deteriorate naturally.

I seem to recall a tradition of leaving the deceased’s Dolphins (pin designating Submarine Qualifications) on the clothing… I would check this first. The same pins are still used and available if the family doesn’t have one they are willing to part with.

Last edited:
OK, so this isn't the most dignified way....but....

Take a plastic soda bottle, put the remains in and put the cap on. If you can't unscrew it at depth, you can just cut the bottle open.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the least elegant, but if it were me, that's what I would do.

On an unrelated note, since we got married on the beach in Grand Cayman and she loves turtles...I always tell my wife that when she dies, I'm going to have her cremated and and them I'm going to staple her remains to a turtle :D

I like the idea of a light housing without an o-ring.

Note this site: Burial & Cremation Laws in Hawaii | Nolo.com. There is some ambiguity in the info: EPA apparently requires you to be 3 n.miles from land (not likely on a Hawaii dive boat) and to notify them within 30 days (Clear Water Act regulations), while the Hawaii regs say beyond the reef line.....which I guess 3 miles would be, but it seems contradictory.

The advice to just do it seems on target....which might mean a container than doesn't look like a cremation urn.

Not unless you can equalize it....

OP, what volume container do you need? Pint-size jar? Quart? Gallon?

I've been told that there will be about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of ashes. Pint size I'm thinking.

I've done this. A quart sized sturdy drinking water container with a large threaded lid. A simple plastic bag holding the ashes inside, so everything is easily removed in one shot. Make sure the current is coming from behind you.

I've done this. A quart sized sturdy drinking water container with a large threaded lid. A simple plastic bag holding the ashes inside, so everything is easily removed in one shot. Make sure the current is coming from behind you.

I'm thinking some sort of Nalgene bottle would do the trick. Do you pre-fill with water first?

I'm thinking some sort of Nalgene bottle would do the trick. Do you pre-fill with water first?

A heavy duty Nalgene container is exactly what I used. Yes, I partially prefilled with water. The very thick rectangular white container bowed inward at 30 feet, but not enough to prevent it from being unscrewed. The plastic bag with the ashes came out easily from the widemouth container, and I turned it inside out like taking off a sock. Dispersal was instantaneous, with sunlight flashing in the cloud for a moment.

Back
Top Bottom