need Voit "Wide view" mask info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarthWader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just came across an old Voit mask that is marked "Wide View" at the top of the skirt.
anyone have any info/experience with this mask? it also has an old J type snorkel with it.

DarthWader:
I just came across an old Voit mask that is marked "Wide View" at the top of the skirt.
anyone have any info/experience with this mask? it also has an old J type snorkel with it.

Does it have 3 "panes"? One in front and one on each side? It's supposed to aid in peripheral vision; so you can see the shark before he takes a bit. :light: They tended to be heavier than one pane masks. If it's usable, use it; if it's not ever been used, find out how much it might be worth.

This site will give you an idea of prices for vintage gear; although I have some of it, I wish I'd kept more of mine:

http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/maskfin.html

It's a big Single pane semi rectangular tempered glass pane with, I believe, gum rubber skirt and strap. it's very similar to Aqqualung's Atlantis mask.

DarthWader:
It's a big Single pane semi rectangular tempered glass pane with, I believe, gum rubber skirt and strap. it's very similar to Aqqualung's Atlantis mask.

If you google (TM) for information you'll find some references. Sorry, I have no personal experience with that mask so I can not be of more assistance.

Appreciate the help. I've tried googling it but came up empty handed. if I can wrangle a pic, I'll try posting it. my main curiosity is whether it was made for scuba or snorkeling.

DarthWader:
Appreciate the help. I've tried googling it but came up empty handed. if I can wrangle a pic, I'll try posting it. my main curiosity is whether it was made for scuba or snorkeling.

I was not aware there are specific SCUBA masks. However, if you are doing a lot of breath hold diving you'll want a low profile mask that requires less air to equalize the mask, as well as be a bit more streamlined.

Green_Manelishi:
I was not aware there are specific SCUBA masks. However, if you are doing a lot of breath hold diving you'll want a low profile mask that requires less air to equalize the mask, as well as be a bit more streamlined.
I know there were snorkeling "kits", for lack of another word, like you see at chain stores, but this is one heck of a high volume mask. I guess I was hoping I stumbled onto an early treasure, but it's porbably not older that the 70s.

DarthWader:
I know there were snorkeling "kits", for lack of another word, like you see at chain stores, but this is one heck of a high volume mask. I guess I was hoping I stumbled onto an early treasure, but it's porbably not older that the 70s.

A snorkeling kit is just a packaged mask, fins, snorkel. I think this mask came as part of a kit, a long time ago !!!
If your mask is not a collectable, you should use it.

mask.jpg

Green_Manelishi:
A snorkeling kit is just a packaged mask, fins, snorkel. I think this mask came as part of a kit, a long time ago !!!
If your mask is not a collectable, you should use it.

mask.jpg
I just finished looking at it again, still no pic I'm afraid, but it has a plastic frame around the lense. I'd say definately not collectible, and it has a great seal. Yep, definately a user! I guess I was hoping for one of Mike Nelson's hand-me-downs :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom