Need video diffuser for my HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been struggling to find the best diffuser for my 24 watt HID, because I lost the frosted diffuser (matte finished lexan film) it came with, and my homemade diffusers (suede textured lexan film, and heavy textured flurescent light fixture diffuser) all seem to wet-out under water, still allowing hot spots (1750 Lumens is hard to tame).

So my plan was to glue two suede textured lexan film discs together at the edges only to form an air pocket between the two discs to eliminate wet-out.

But then I saw this post and wondered if something like this is available, about 3 - 1/4" DIA (or close) that I could retrofit to my HID:
Bossk BigBlue 60 Deg Diffuser for FF 3X5 Series Lights (non AFO only) [bos.3x5.diffuser] - $17.99 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros and was curious if this kind of diffuser works well vs textured or milky diffusers.

I've also tried light diffuser acrylic plexiglas (you know, the milky stuff with 50% light transmission) but it seemed to block too much light.

example of current diffuser:
[vimeo]5069794[/vimeo]

Also, another quick question:

Since I learned (too late) the wonders of manual white balance underwater, will I need the amber color correction filter (brings it to 5600K) if I white balance U/W and use the HID for daytime fill lighting, or will the naked HID be somewhat corrected as is, since it is a blueish light anyway (6800K)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom