Need to replace my PrincetonTek LED, reccomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my recent Fla. Keys trip, my 8C cell PrincetonTek LED light flooded :( If I can get it back from a cousin who I let take it so he could mess with it, I may try to have it replaced under warranty, but in the meantime, I figured I'd look at replacements? I know from reading threads here in the past, a lot of people seem to like the UK lights. I was looking at the 8C LED+ light they have, with the removable grip, at a store down in Key West, and it looks pretty nice. The LeisurePro price on it seems really good ($99), and since they now offer USPS shipping ($14), it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg extra to ship to Alaska. Other recommendations? Should I be looking at the UK HID light over LED? While I'd like a canister light, I don't really feel like spending that kind of money right now.

Brian

Brian,

I bought two UK HID lights a year and half ago for myself and my wife. I also bought the rechargeable battery modules. I simply could never get both of them to work at the same time. They put out a tremendous light but they are really finicky IMHO. I finally bought two of the UK 8-cell LED lights as backup primary lights. Once I had those to carry around the Caribbean the UK HIDs seem to get the message and cooperated for the duration of a liveaboard week of diving. Next time I tried to get them to light neither would work after charging for several days. I now just take the LEDs on trips.

Bottom line: UK HIDs are great lights when they light and it really is dark when they don't.

Guy

Send back the Princeton Tec and be done with it. I bought a used one and flooded it. Sent it back to PT and they replaced it, no questions. I think it was gone about 10 days.

Unfortunately, the old one WAS thrown away, so I'm SOL with returning it :( I'll remember next time I buy something with a lifetime warranty!

FWIW When I got my PT E LED in 7/05 I compared it to the UK equivalent at the time and the PT had a much higher light output.

It might help to know what priority you place on a few factors, including:

1.) Durability.
2.) Duration of light on a single set of batteries.
3.) Extreme light production.

Sometimes laying out your priorities makes the decision easier.

Richard.

drrich2:
It might help to know what priority you place on a few factors, including:

1.) Durability.
2.) Duration of light on a single set of batteries.
3.) Extreme light production.

Sometimes laying out your priorities makes the decision easier.

Richard.
The size of light and price range may also be factors. I normally carry an Underwater Kinetics SL4 or a Princetontec XL (l.e.d.) as backups in my BC pocket. I've also used them both as primary lights. Many dives don't require a very bright light to be safe. For a daytime dive, no light is actually needed. I try to have at least two lights on all my dives. (backup in each pocket, and a powerful light clipped to a D-ring... which goes in my hand as soon as the dive starts)

I threw out one Prineton Tec light before trying their warranty. Now I save any failed lights. If a $15 or $25 fails, it seems like a waste to spend the money on shipping. I just buy another. (...but save the dead one.) When I have a couple dead lights, I send them back for new ones.

The Shockwave LED puts out enough light to suit me for any night diving I've done. For daytime diving, I want a light that is super bright (or at least has a super bright hotspot.) When it works, my UK Light Canon is awsome compared to any other light I've seen under $200. Unfortunately, it has been fussy for me. Like the poster above, my LC has been more likely to work since I started carrying additional lights. I think they can sense when they aren't needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom