Need tips on how to be a perfect "hostess"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
I am not sure what you do in your pool sessions would be legal over here either :wink:

and another ones gone, and another ones gone....... :)

WW

I think I'd better not answer that right now....

We will we will rock you ! rock you !

Okay, listen: I will start working as a doctor in April and my rule will always be: No recommendation of any drugs for a diver as long as they have not been tested under pressure. By the way, DAN has the same policy.

I am not a lawyer and I don't play one under water, but...

You can always say "We sell this and that" and let them decide. OR... send them to a pharmacy. Most pharmacists can and WILL point people to a quality product. While "I use this..." is still an endorsement, you can probably still get away with it. Just avoid "This is the very best..." or "You should buy this..."

I JUST tell people - "Coccculine" is a good products that works for every diver I know...

I don't SELL people that medecine !!!!
I SEND THEM TO A PHARMACY !!!!!

:rolleyes:

....this thread got slightly de-railed.

It isn't uncommon for someone in Europe to send someone out for a seasickness remedy, in fact some travel agents/dive centres advise on it on their web sites. This is especially true for homeopathic treatments. At the moment Europeans don't sue so much, but it is changing.

As for how to sell. I have never sold diving but have been involved in other kinds of sales for years. It is hard to generalise and say one type of approach will always work, you can't be all things to all people. But the most reliable approach is to forget that you are selling and be yourself, tell them the truth and be yourself. People are more likely to be 'attracted' to the personality of an individual than to an organisation. Tell them what is on offer based around wwhat you know about them (as stated earlier).

At the end of the day people will want to feel safe, entertained (by the diving at least) and enthused. These kind of feelings come across easily from a 'real' person who cares about what they are doing.

BTW working in Corsica for a dive centre ? Nice life

The people coming into the shop are already in a good
mood. They're divers and it's a dive shop. When they find
a beautiful and charming young lady working there that
is not only a diver, but likes to talk about diving they will
be 90% sold. All you have to do is help them do what they
already want to do: dive and buy dive equiptment.

You'll do fine.:)

What has alway stood out to me in shops that I return to, is that the enthusiasm for the sport itself is obvious in the successful shops. What I mean to say is if you compare a department store where workers are also paid minimum wage and turn over is like every 30 days, from the moment they greet you ... you feel their sales pressure. You can see in their face they don't want to be there. They have almost a distain for the customer. They don't wear the clothes sold at that store and secretly they wouldn't be caught dead in them either.

Same thing in doctors offices (my day job industry) you come into the lobby and there is an opaque window between you and the staff. All the patients in the lobby are doing nervous twitching things with their legs and hands. Admittedly it's rarely a cause for "fun" to go to the doctors. Being new to the scene you go up and knock on the glass - no response. So you sit down. Five minutes later someone slides the divider open and has this scowl on their face which says "why have you disturbed my slumber? What could you possibly want you small insignificant person?". But what is being forced from their lips is a canned greeting. "Welcome to doctor ... take this clipboard and find your own pen ..." (and what is seen on their face is "here's enough paperwork to last an hour, so go sit on the floor shmuck and quit bothering me.)

In a successful scuba shop the employees are divers themselves. They love diving, they love to talk about diving, they love to talk about diving with you. They are ready with stories to tell about yesterday's dives, or a recently unexplored site, or some humor to brighten your day. They want to help YOU because they love to be around divers. Their face exudes - "I love SCUBA diving, please, please ask me a question about it, or give me a minute to tell you a story".

Okay, okay, so I got suckered into reading this thread by the appealing subject line!

I know nothing about treatments for sea sickness, Amanda, though I find chucking up down wind of everybody else seems to work well for me. I've never been anything other than a customer in a dive centre so, for what it's worth, here's what I like (and dislike) from the people I've met behind the counter or on the boats:
1. Be enthusiastic.
2. Be attentive.
3. Inspire confidence by being thorough without being fussy.
4. Make it obvious that you're paying close attention to safety.
5. Don't be patronising.
6. Don't over-sell the dive.
7. Don't make paying customers feel like they're a nuisance and getting in the way of your diving.

Good luck, enjoy the job. :eek:ut:

Successful sales and customer satisfaction is completely about beating expectations. Those expectations could be expectations that you have set, or could be your client's preconceived notions.

Many people may want to dive regardless of the conditions. For these people, saying negative things about the conditions will not drive them away. However if you are slightly more negative about the conditions, then they will be pleasantly surprised.

Never try to sell people using the optimistic story, because most people will end up not having their expectations met.

Be genuine, be honest - but err on the side of cautious comments and be enthusastic.

For people who clearly want to learn, teach them a few things. For people who are know it alls listen to what they have to say. For people in between do a little of both.

Remember, customer satisfaction is virtually all about expectations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom