need the pros: Cancun/Cozumel 2 weeks at CHRISTMAS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eisenhauer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is the first time for our family traveling in Cozumel and Cancun.

OK, while I'm enjoying researching possible Div Ops and accommodation for our families trip to Cancun/Cozumel (we are 3 = parents and a teen, all AOW), I am now overwhelmed by TMI and need to 'call in the pros' from Scuba Forum. We just booked two weeks Dec 18-Jan 1 arriving in Cancun. Our main focus is diving for the holiday and our original plan was to take the ferry over the Cozumel and stay there for the whole trip. This is our third dive holiday this year (wow, lucky us...but as a result we need to watch our budget).

I'm wondering now about booking part of the two weeks on the mainland and checking out what cenotes are all about (have no clue but it looks fascinating). Or whether at this time of year with such heavy tourist traffic (shutter!) we should just get settled in somewhere.

If we book into Cozumel for two whole weeks...I've seen that people are loving Scuba Club (hotel and Div Op); Aldora Div Op (nice looking villa); Blue Angel (hotel and Div Op)...

Anyone want to weigh in on what they would do as first time visitors to this area? (I certainly appreciated all the good information from Dave at Aldora on their web site...)

Thanks, janice

You have to do at least a day in the cenotes. Drop a note to Alvaro at alwaysdiving.com or Ben at scorpiodivers.com and you'll have one of the best dive days of your life.

On COZ, you can't go wrong with any of the places you mentioned, although I think personally I'd be inclined to go with Scuba Club.

Thank you for the references; we'll check them out for sure. Appreciate your reply,

I second Scorpio Divers. Ben and Jorge do a fabulous job of giving you what you request. Of course, they have not gotten so good as to control the weather, but will make every effort to insure you have a great time.

If you do book in Cancun, they provide pickup and delivery every day. I had my kids down last year, and they were trained by Ben and we had a awesome time all diving together. A great experience to remember!

I wish you good weather and safe diving!

It looks like you want to stay in town or close to it and want an in house dive op. If so, then the list you had is a good one. My father in Law has used Scuba Club alot in the past and likes it.

We almost always stay south of town but I have friends that stay closer to town regularly. They have stayed at the Barrucuda and Casa del Mar hotels. I believe these are generally in the same cost range as the others but I can't speak for in house dive ops. We all use a dive op not associated with a hotel. Our friend who uses Casa del Mar stays there since she shore dives as well.

I have never stayed in Cozumel over Christmas (or other high season dates) as the cost is higher and more people. We do go into town and generally try to avoid cruise ship traffic. I would think that if there are more people during Christmas then book sooner than later.

There are hotels on the North end but I would advise on looking into in house dive ops and downtown dive op pickups (recent threads on this).

btw - to clarify, my response above is limited to Cozumel.

You may want to contact www.cenotexperience.com.mx
Very accomodating, low cost, and great service. Ask for Nico. I have had great experiences with them. They also provide ocean dives.

Cozumel - there are so many reef everywhere, you can't go wrong.

Great...keep the posts coming!!
We may now spend four days on the mainland and check out the cenotes, with ten days on Coz. PS: Am I right that Villa Aldora, Scuba Club and Blue Angle Resort are all a good 1/2 hour from town?

Thanks again.

I am not sure what you mean by half hour from town - from the edge of San Miguel or to the main square (central San Miguel) and driving versus walking.

Scuba Club is on the south edge of town and I still consider it town. I think it would be about a 5 min taxi ride (10 min max) in light traffic to the main square (a few lights and speed bumps). During busy times when the cruise ships unload it will be more. It's a fairly easy walk as well.

I have not stayed at Villa Aldora but I understand that it is on the north end of town and south of the marina. It seems to me to be about the same distance north as Scuba club is south.

Neither one of these is anywhere near 30 minutes by taxi. Maybe 30 minutes walking. I am going to guess about a mile maybe a bit less for each to the main square.

Blue Angel I believe is at km 2.2 (1.4 miles) south of town on the coast road. I think that the walk would be more than 30 minutes. Taxi would be maybe 10 minutes in lighter traffic. I am not as familiar with this one. I would do a search on this board for Blue Angel for comments from people who stayed there. Maybe they have better walking times.

Taxis are readily available around the main square and main road (Melgar). Plenty of taxis at least pass by Scuba Club and I've never seen a shortage there. Taxis around Blue Angel and Villa Blanca might be more sparse but you can always have one called - San Miguel is full of taxis.

You can always rent a vehicle so you can come and go as you please and maybe save time.

One more thing (I seem to be doing that with this thread), since you are going to be in Cozumel for ten days and might want to travel around San Miguel and the island as well as dive, check out the Cozumel map at cancunmap.com-Your information source. For $10 you can't go wrong with it. It has much more than just streets but just about everything on the island. Mine is from 2005 and I still use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom