Need suggestions/help Grand Cayman Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone out to Babylon several times with Wall to Wall on their 3 tank trips. I agree that it is too far for the west side'north wall boats to go to routinely.

My general preference is to go out with an operator with big boats who limit their diving to small groups and provide valet service. Not sure that Red Sail meets that criterion. I've seen their boats look pretty full but have never actually counted heads.

Every operator on GC uses the same moorings and accesses the same sites, but some are still better than others in their service provision.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I should do one day on the East side (3 tank dive) and do the rest on the N/NW. I really liked the idea of not having to schlep our gear all over the place, but...

Since you're staying at the Marriott the in-house operator is Red Sail. They dive the North/West sides. Dive Red Sail Cayman | Red Sail Sports | Grand Cayman | Cayman Islans

Red Sail aggregate divers from a couple of SMB resorts plus cruise traffic from the two lines they're contracted for. All operators legally put a DM in the water for every 8 divers - since you're more advanced you won't be diving with the beginners but it does affect their choice of dive sites since they have to find one that has a shallower component also. Their afternoon dive is their Discover/Refresher Dive boat so that may be even more of a beginner selection - they hold it to a pretty shallow depth.

For the sake of clarity: Red Sail does run a dive for the cruise ships (Disney I think), this is a separate boat.
Almost all of the West side sites can have a deep and shallow profile. You are right about their numbers though, in high season their boats are big and take quite a few people.

Since you'll be in SMB, I would use a local operator that could get you out to the West or to the North depending on conditions. I like Wall to Wall. There are many good operators

Since you'll be in SMB, I would use a local operator that could get you out to the West or to the North depending on conditions. I like Wall to Wall. There are many good operators

Wall to wall looks good. They do a 3 tank trip to East end. I'm thinking I may hook up with them for the week. Thanks for the suggestion.

You will not be disappointed with Wall to Wall, they run a quality operation. Big boats, small groups, valet service.

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking. Fly into Grand Cayman Sat, Apr 25. Stay at Compass Point Friday night and Saturday night. Dive with OF one day. (Package includes a rental car during stay, and will allow us 2 night stay). Monday head over to SMB Marriott and stay there and dive with Wall to Wall Tues-Thurs with some possible shore diving and head home Saturday. Thanks for all of the input. Any thoughts on my plan are appreciated.

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking. Fly into Grand Cayman Sat, Apr 25. Stay at Compass Point Friday night and Saturday night. Dive with OF one day. (Package includes a rental car during stay, and will allow us 2 night stay). Monday head over to SMB Marriott and stay there and dive with Wall to Wall Tues-Thurs with some possible shore diving and head home Saturday. Thanks for all of the input. Any thoughts on my plan are appreciated.

Sounds like a great trip. I love Compass Point and OF is one of, if not my favorite, operator. You'll really like W2W, Giles and Deanna are great, don't think Deanna dives any more. The 3 tanker is not to be missed if they run it. For shore diving, make sure you hit Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch/Marabuca. Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast are also very good shore dives.

I'm jealous, I'd be diving Friday morning too

Sounds like a great trip. I love Compass Point and OF is one of, if not my favorite, operator. You'll really like W2W, Giles and Deanna are great, don't think Deanna dives any more. The 3 tanker is not to be missed if they run it. For shore diving, make sure you hit Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch/Marabuca. Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast are also very good shore dives.

I'm jealous, I'd be diving Friday morning too

LOL! Thank you! Friday will probably depend on what time we fly back on Saturday. I also budgeted a night dive. Just not sure what night they do them. I'm hoping this trip will give us the best of the area. I really wanted to plan a liveaboard trip...next time. I appreciate all of the feedback on this forum. It really helped me form my trip.

Turtle Reef is a great night dive, maybe do in during the day first for some familiarity. I like it better to the right, but to the left has the Tarpon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom