Need Suggestions for a Destination Wedding in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wedding is not for me but I might be going and it's a plus if there's diving but not necessary! I have a friend looking for a destination beach wedding in the Caribbean, might be interested in Dominican Republic but probably open to other places.

This is an alternative to throwing a big wedding at home so she wants something inexpensive, she probably won't have many guests (I'm guessing less than 20) but still wants to have a beach side wedding that will be memorable. Probably really just looking for someone to do the ceremony, nothing too formal and maybe a small cake. I know she will want a nice white sandy beach, pool, All-Inclusive resort, excursions or activities. Like I said, diving would be cool too but we are looking for any ideas. Anyone have experience with this that can make some recommendations? Time frame would most likely be May 2010. Thanks!

The wedding is not for me but I might be going and it's a plus if there's diving but not necessary! I have a friend looking for a destination beach wedding in the Caribbean, might be interested in Dominican Republic but probably open to other places.

This is an alternative to throwing a big wedding at home so she wants something inexpensive, she probably won't have many guests (I'm guessing less than 20) but still wants to have a beach side wedding that will be memorable. Probably really just looking for someone to do the ceremony, nothing too formal and maybe a small cake. I know she will want a nice white sandy beach, pool, All-Inclusive resort, excursions or activities. Like I said, diving would be cool too but we are looking for any ideas. Anyone have experience with this that can make some recommendations? Time frame would most likely be May 2010. Thanks!

May is the perfect time to hit the Caribbean.... water is warming up but not too warm, not quite hurricane season, and prices are lower than spring. :D
Cozumel would be the least expensive choice and would meet all the needs you have listed. I am guessing everyone is in the Denver area so direct flights there are a plus, too. Just over the water on the Mainland (Rivera Maya) there are tons of resorts, too. They might be a bit more $$ but there are lots of activities over there, like visiting the Mayan ruins, and also diving the cenotes.
For a budget beachside wedding, that is where I would go.

Now if they had a bigger budget, I would go to Fiji, and do the wedding there at Beqa Lagoon Resort. They have photos on their website of native warriors in full costume for the ceremony. That looks cool to me.... Not as much to do there for the non-divers though.

One of my friends got married in Playa del Carmen and it's relatively inexpensive with direct flights to Cancun and has great beaches. I recommend the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal, good food and beautiful place, I dove there and it's good diving, try a cenote dive, with all kinds of activities close by for landlubbers. Golf, Mayan Ruins etc........

http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Riviera-Maya-hotels/Iberostar-Tucan_3_70.html

Turks and Caicos/Beaches is what my son chose. Not too expensive, diving was terrific with Fifi. The beach at Grace Bay is really beautiful.

Cancun is sucking wind economically right now.

She could probably put together a pretty good package.

We see lots of weddings here in Bayahibe, south coast (Caribbean) of Dominican Republic. The favorite resort for that is Dreams La Romana, if she would like to do it at the resort.
Our friends who live here got married on Saona Island, my wife said the most romantic wedding she has ever been. They hired a catamaran, nicely decorated, brought them to the island - about 45 min ride, nice and slow with music and some drinks. The actual ceremony and then the dinner was on the island, cake cutting with the sunset, going back to the village on the catamaran with lots of music and drinks, ended up around midnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom