Need some work done. Can you recommend a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went up awhile back with big Mike to get an adapter for an old Zeagle Octo inflator and of course Javier had one for a decent price. I had only met him once before and we got to BS'ing about hydros and the accident at SCC. He picked up my Octo and checked it and did not like how worked. He tweaked it a couple times and still was not satisfied so he stripped it down sonic cleaned the parts and reassembled it with new orings and overhauled it. A few tweaks later it was fully tuned up. During the 15 minutes this took him I also learned a lot about tank inspections and the internals of an inflator and he refused payment. He now is my go to guy for reg repairs.

Reminds me of when I bought my Scubapro Air II (what generation it was I can't remember). I was in the Fl Keys and the thing would leak and free-flow for no apparent reason at any random time. I took it to a UnderSeas on Big Pine key we had been diving with and an old salty dive repair tech who could repair anything and everything (Tom was his name) with parts that filled a room took a look at it. He had seen this "new" generation of the Air II many times with the same prob and asked, "Do you want effortless breathing in your backup/octo or do you want something that lasts and works when you need it?". He pulled all those latest untested parts out of that Air II back in the day, took it back a generation, replaced the parts with what worked and I haven't had a problem since. This was 2002 or something but it just goes to show newer is not necessarily better and it has worked flawless to this day.

Oh GPB you are spending way too much time on the island when I can spot you in random Tripadvisor pics of local restaurants! The Pub! ; )

Last edited:
Too much time on the island is an oxymoron

I thought an "oxymoron" was anyone who pays the extra $ for NITROX yet only dives 2 dives a day! Oh boy... I can hear the backlash from that statement coming already!

I thought an "oxymoron" was anyone who pays the extra $ for NITROX yet only dives 2 dives a day! Oh boy... I can hear the backlash from that statement coming already!
If I run two tanks while hunting and do not use nitrox I bang against DECO. With air on only the second I often find myself forced up due to limited NDL, especially after multiple days on diving. But then again I suppose looking down on the reef produces less neck strain provided your eyesight is good enough to see down to it:yeahbaby::stirpot::thumb2:

Reminds me of when I bought my Scubapro Air II (what generation it was I can't remember). I was in the Fl Keys and the thing would leak and free-flow for no apparent reason at any random time. I took it to a UnderSeas on Big Pine key we had been diving with and an old salty dive repair tech who could repair anything and everything (Tom was his name) with parts that filled a room took a look at it. He had seen this "new" generation of the Air II many times with the same prob and asked, "Do you want effortless breathing in your backup/octo or do you want something that lasts and works when you need it?". He pulled all those latest untested parts out of that Air II back in the day, took it back a generation, replaced the parts with what worked and I haven't had a problem since. This was 2002 or something but it just goes to show newer is not necessarily better and it has worked flawless to this day.

Oh GPB you are spending way too much time on the island when I can spot you in random Tripadvisor pics of local restaurants! The Pub! ; )

How much did he charge you for that? Was he still smiling when you left? What do you really think he did?

If I run two tanks while hunting and do not use nitrox I bang against DECO. With air on only the second I often find myself forced up due to limited NDL, especially after multiple days on diving. But then again I suppose looking down on the reef produces less neck strain provided your eyesight is good enough to see down to it:yeahbaby::stirpot::thumb2:

I end up either in deco or riding the limits on almost every dive, even with nitrox....

But then again I suppose looking down on the reef produces less neck strain provided your eyesight is good enough to see down to it:yeahbaby::stirpot::thumb2:

I must say GPB.. Nothing makes me happier than spotting the biggest friggin' Lionfish in the deepest, darkest, nastiest cavern I drifted past (having slightly turned my head and shined my light to see what could be seen). Then, slowly performing a scan for you and signaling you of its presence as I gracefully drift on in the gentle current knowing I ignited those underwater Rat Terrior instincts in you. When I hear the "CHINK" "CHINK" from afar, I know a war is being waged inside that cavern but it's a world away as I enjoy my low-consumption, peaceful drift-diving bliss.
Have you thought of changing your SB profile name to "UWTUNNELRAT"? That would be soooo fitting! :cheers:

Last edited:
How much did he charge you for that? Was he still smiling when you left? What do you really think he did?

$20 and perhaps he just made some minor adjustments to what was there but I'd like to think I'm a better judge of people than that. If I'm not, I'll say he was VERY GOOD at what he did and as we parted ways with smiles on our faces and only $20 changing hands... That's good enough for me any way I look at it.

An after thought, do you have an inflator hose to mate with it? Most Octo inflators do not mate to a standard BC inflator QD fitting, due to the higher flow requirements. I believe the AA SS1 uses the most common 'Scuba Pro' Octo inflator style. If you need a LP hose and adaptor it would be best to bring one with you if you are having your dive op set it up. CSR stocks extra hoses and adaptors but it's not as common for the dive ops to stock parts.

The SS1 comes with 3 adaptors. Use the one that best fits your corregated hose? A ziptie will hold the adaptor to the corregated hose. After attaching the adaptor to the corregated hose you simply screw the SS1 onto the adaptor. You will need a small screwdriver too.

Back
Top Bottom