Need some Tips on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Chaos,
We dove with Coconut Tree last week (cruise stop- one day only), and they do have apartment/rooms for rent that are not all-inclusive. We didn't get to go see them, but saw some pics of the outside, looked okay to me. The people who run the shop (Gay answers most emails) were extremely friendly (mostly Brits), professional and fun. We had Ruth as our divemaster, we recommend her highly. Be sure they take you to Lighthouse reef and do the wall dive. And I believe that they said $370 for the week for their nicer rooms, which sounded pretty good to us. (?) Anyway, their email is coconuttreedivers@yahoo.com and the website is www.divingonroatan.com. Have fun,
Foo

I agree - try www.roatanet.com. If you do Roatan Charter, their offerings are more expensive. I booked through them and did stay at a nice place- Lost Paradise (little cabins, only a step away from the sand) - but when I got there, found we could have stayed at several less expensive places. Some friends stayed at Arco Iris, the place above the Argentinian restaurant (recommended!) - its on the roatanet.com site. It was really well done, just cross the one lane road and you're on the beach. It's not really backpacker set. They said it was around $40, but there are definitely less expensive places. We checked out Native Sons, near Arco Iris, who we would have liked to dive with - multiple dives averages out at about $15 each. We stayed though with Sueno del Mar. Their set up is just so easy - their own dock with dive shop over the water - all your gear is there - no huffing things around. Good DMs. You probably pay more for the location - about $20 per dive. - Ariel

We just got back from Roatan last night. We've done the all inclusive thing before, but it's not really for us either. This trip we stayed at Seagrape Plantation and dove with Native Sons, both in the West End. We had great experiences with both and would gladly stay at Seagrape and dive with Native Sons again. Two fun bars to go to in West End are the Twisted Toucan and the Sundowner bar (the Sundowner was always packed in the early evenings). Casa Calico has a fun Friday night, and closer to Luna Beach is Loafers Sports bar, and the Reggie bar.
There are also great places to eat in West End- the Argentinian Grill, Dian's Garden of Eatin' and the Lighthouse are all good- we also like Velva's Place, the Rotisserie Chicken Shack, Rudy's for pancakes, and my favorite La Boulangerie bakery for fresh warm pastries and great sandwiches. If you go to Coxen Hole for lunch- Que Tal Cafe is also very good. We always seem to find lots to do and we've met great people along the way. Have fun!

Ariel:
multiple dives averages out at about $15 each. We stayed though with Sueno del Mar. Their set up is just so easy - their own dock with dive shop over the water - all your gear is there - no huffing things around. Good DMs. You probably pay more for the location - about $20 per dive. - Ariel

What a lot of great information on the West end of Roatan- this post and others! Thanks for the recommendations on dive ops and WOW!--- the restaurants! I have a new list to try! :sappy:

I caution other researching readers, however, at the All Inclusive (AI) type resorts, it is very easy to do 4 and 5 dives per day. These resorts, Anthonys Key, Fantasy Island, and most especially CoCoView are physically designed to make the diving process flow easily. If you thought SdM was easy breezy to dive from, check out the dedicated dive resorts, certainly CCV. There you would pay (at low/high season) an average of $107-$121 per day with all food and all the diving you can stand. You do the math. If you are there to get moldy, it could get pricey at ala carte pricing. (5 dives at a low of $15 is $75/day, assuming you could get them to do a night dive every night- vs just walking into the water like at CCV!)

There is a great allure to the amenities of the West End, great food, cold beer and sunsets. I can't imagine the torture of living downwind of the Argentine Grill. Ahhh- The smell of it! Yum.

When the Argentine grill is good its GOOD - when its bad .. my wife got sick :zap1: But the cruise ships do bring their guests there.

Back
Top Bottom