Need Some Strobe Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFishin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a simple canon point and shoot camera in a canon underwater case along with a SeaLife SL960D external strobe. Well my strobe stopped working so I had to send it in for service. When I called to get the RMA the lady told me that they no longer make the 960D, it's now the SL961, and that if they had an old 960D lying around they might be able to repair mine. She said if they didn't have one to repair mine with then they would have to replace it with the 961 for a charge. Well I just got the letter in the mail from them asking what I want to do with the strobe. They want $280 to replace it with the 961.

That seems like quite a bit considering the retail price for the 961 is $350 (and they just had a $50 rebate for it that just ended). Usually when a company is replacing an out of warranty item that is in for service it's quite a bit cheaper than the full retail price. I had my $800 dive computer replaced for $150.

So now I am left with the dilemma of what to do about a strobe. Either I just pony up the $280 and get the upgrade or shop for a new one. I probably don't want to spend more than $300. The strobe I had worked well for what I used it for. I only used it a couple times a year and most of my shots are either macro or close-up, nothing that I would need a huge strobe for or anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a strobe that would fit my needs and my budget? Should I just pay the $280 and get the 961?

Anyone else use this Ultramax strobe? Doesn't seem to be that much on the internet about them. Do they sell directly and not have distributors? Any other strobe recommendations from anyone?

I picked up an Intova ISS 2000 strobe from LP, $135 for my Cannon P&S It may not be the best strobe on the market, but it seems well built and the price is right.

The UltraMax and Intova are the same except the UltraMax has a sealed battery compartment, the Intova doesn't. Good thing to have.

Anyone else use this Ultramax strobe? Doesn't seem to be that much on the internet about them. Do they sell directly and not have distributors? Any other strobe recommendations from anyone?

I've got one, too and just recently used it for the first time. I had some problems getting it to fire, and I think it was a combination of operator error (DOH!) and a less than optimal design in the attachment point for the fiber optic sync cord to the strobe. I've since fixed that and now it fires without fail.

The specs say that the regeneration time is 7 to 8 seconds. I've found that it's ready to fire quicker than that, say, 5 to 6 seconds, and on half power, it's only 2 to 3 seconds. For macro shots, you won't need more that 1/4 to half power with this strobe.

This strobe is very bouyant. My rig is negatively bouyant, so when I put it in the camera bucket, it sits on the bottom upright, thanks to the bouyancy of the strobe. I kinda like that, since it keeps my camera away from all those others which are banging into each as other as they float on the top .... :)

Also, Ultramax extended the warranty on these to 2 years.

Bottom line, it seems like a good, inexpensive, no frills strobe.

The UltraMax and Intova are the same except the UltraMax has a sealed battery compartment, the Intova doesn't. Good thing to have.

This in interesting. Are you sure there is a real difference and just not a marketing difference. They look identical and the Intova looks like it is sealed when I open it up.

On the other hand the Bonica mention above is definitely not sealed. The battery carrier is really cheesy. I also found the unit is not very strong, mine broke off on the mount and floated away:depressed:, hence the replacement with the Intova.

The Intova ISS 2000 is looking pretty tempting considering it looks comparable to the SeaLife flash I had and I can get it for 1/2 the price SL wants to charge me to replace mine. I'll have to do some reading to see some user's comments on it. I think the main thing is I've decided that I am not paying them to "fix" my strobe I sent in. It would be tempting if they were offering a more reasonable price on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom