Need some special recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texfrazer

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

My wife, daughter and I will be coming to Hawaii in March. This will be our second trip, but the first where we might be able to dive (the last time we were there, my wife was pregnant so we snorkelled on Kuaui, and Oahu).

My wife and I would really like to do some diving (at least one boat trip), but we have a real problem: my daughter will only be 14 months old when we are there.

Does anyone have any suggestions about diving that would allow us to still be responsible parents? We may not be able to dive this trip, but I promised my wife that I would ask on here since she really wants to dive in Hawaii.

Thanks!!!

I know that we have had some people with tot's on the boat and the captain watched the child while the parents were down. It all depends on how the child is (comfortable with strangers) and the captain/dive op.You could also take turns. You go on the first dive while mom watches and then you trade (AM charters deep/shallow, PM charters shallow/shallow).

Thanks for the info!!!

Maggie (my daughter) is extremely comfortable with people - in fact, she complains less with a bunch of people around than she does with just my wife and I).

I wasn't sure if there were operators who would allow young kids to be on the boat while the parents were diving. Do you know of any that you would recommend? We haven't picked the island where we'll be spending most of our time because we wanted to check on diving first - our last time in Hawaii, we stayed on Kuaui and Oahu and loved both of them.

Thanks again!!!!

I would be happy to baby sit if you will take me with you!

Most resorts have quality day care programs for children. I recommend meeting with the child care staff to make sure you are comfortable with their services. Then go on a trip that only involves 4 or 5 hours.

In my opinion, it is inappropriate to ask the captain to look after a toddler. He or she may be nice and say yes. However, if he or she is doing what a captain is quite likely supposed to be doing, they will not be able to keep a good eye on a child. As a captain, I keep a constant eye out for divers surfacing or having problems, have had to enter the water on occasion to assist divers or snorkelers who needed help, assist divers in and out of the water, change gear, etc. I personally am not able to babysit while I am at work with safety responsibilities. Again, some captains will very politely agree to babysit......but think about it this way...would you ask a lifeguard to babysit while he/she was on duty? Not trying to be mean here...it's just something I feel strongly about.

Have a blast. You guys are going to LOVE getting back in the water!

We've had people hire the local Nanny Connection girls to come down to the beach while the parents dive. They just stay with the children on shore, keep an eye on them, play in the sand, etc. Depends on the kids of course but it should be an easy enough job to tackle. Figure a dive is about an hour, plus getting ready, breaking down, maybe close to three hours total. The sitter can show up and be there to just take over watching while the folks make a beach dive. It's cake. If you're coming to Maui I can put you in touch with the right people.

And, I agree, you shouldn't ask the captain to try to handle that job. Would you ask the pilot of the jet you're flying in on?? Good Captains may make their job look very easy but I assure you, they are working constantly when they're in charge of the boat and the safety of the people and property on board. Leave the sitting up to the pros. You'll have much better peace of mind.

Thanks everyone!

Diane, Sorry, but I don't think we'll be able to pick you up for this trip.

Also, thanks cuddlefish and Shaka Doug for the info. Having worked as a DM on a boat, I wouldn't want to ask a captain to babysit. However, the boats I worked on in the Florida Keys were larger boats and had a cabin that the captain allowed parents of infants to put up a portable crib where the infant could sleep while the parents dove (recognizing that if there was an issue with the infant, that at least one parent would have to stay on board).

Not having dove in Hawaii, I have no idea what the local protocol is. However, I do like the idea of having someone babysit while we shore dive. That would be great!

I'm just trying to do my research so my wife and I can have accurate expectations before we go.

Any additional info from anyone would be great!

Thanks again to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom