Need some sandblasting info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freeflyer

Reaction score
Hi all,

just bought my first set of tanks. Got 3 new Catalina AL80's and a second hand Luxfor 80 (they only had 3 new ones left). The Catalina's are bare alu with a laquer (varnish) coat, but the luxfer is painted. I understand that paint can hide corrosion or trap water, and I saw a couple that had obvious bubbling (the one I bought doesn't) and I'm considering having the tank sandblasted to remove the paint.

Is there anything I should be aware of, or not have done? I figure that I tape over the valve thoroughly and that should be all.

Appreciate your advise.

Justin.

Beware, some paint strippers can affect aluminum. Use only aircraft type stripper on aluminum, it's available at most auto parts stores.

Captain

Freeflyer:
Hi all,

just bought my first set of tanks. Got 3 new Catalina AL80's and a second hand Luxfor 80 (they only had 3 new ones left). The Catalina's are bare alu with a laquer (varnish) coat, but the luxfer is painted. I understand that paint can hide corrosion or trap water, and I saw a couple that had obvious bubbling (the one I bought doesn't) and I'm considering having the tank sandblasted to remove the paint.

Is there anything I should be aware of, or not have done? I figure that I tape over the valve thoroughly and that should be all.

Appreciate your advise.

Justin.
aluminum, rust???? alum oxide is not going to affect the metal under the paint to the point of failure unless you have some serious gouges/pits which would fail VIP or Hydro. Leave the paint.

There have been some detailed directions on aluminum tank refinishing, try a search on the subject. FredT has made a few of the definitive posts.
No sandblasting, walnut shells or glass beads are OK to "texturize" the metal after using the afore mentioned aircraft stripper.
Even Scotchbrite scuff pads work to finish the bare aluminum.

Thanks for the information everyone. I was concerned at having seen bubbling on the paint of some tanks, but if I understand it correctly, that's not really an issue on the aluminium tanks.

It sounds as though I'd be better just leaving the paint where it is. I wasn't worried about the cosmetics, just potential problems along the way with the tank.

I will have to get the tank hydro tested, as it was made in 93 and there's no other hydro mark on the tank. The Catalina's are all manufactured in 2003, so no problems there.

Thanks once again,

Justin.

Back
Top Bottom