Need some mask advice (narrow face)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Ralph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an issue in that my face is narrow and most masks I've tried absolutely kill the area of my forehead right between my eyebrows, just above the bridge of my nose. When I loosen them to relieve pressure on this part of my face, they leak like a sieve. I dove Coz last weekend with my Cressi mask, and it performed rather poorly. I kept having to clear my mask which eventually caused it to fog up. I don't remember it causing issues in the past so maybe it's past it's prime (it's not very old at all). But I'm ready to get something that is perhaps designed for faces like mine. Going to Cayman next month and really need something that will perform well while not hurting my face. Seems like the "low profile" masks that are out now don't offer enough forehead protection.

I have deep set eyes and a cro magnon man forehead thing going on. My forehead could actually press on the glass of some masks or the nose piece presses on the bridge of my nose. My favorite mask is a remade mask from the 70's and 80's. It fits great, is comfortable, and since it fits great, clearing is not an issue even though it's not low volume. I get asked on almost every boat, "How old is that mask?" Or told I had one like that......in 1982. Either way it fits great, has a great field of view, and is comfortable. I bet I have tried on over 50 masks and so far this is by far the best fit. Unfortunately, masks are try and try and try...then try some more. Everyone is different. The right one is there, you just have to find it.

Good luck,
Jay

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-udrmwab...id^183055623193-sku^UDRMWAB@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

thinface here too. Cressi Nano works fabulous for me - not sure which model you are using. I actually thought leaky masks were a design feature so i could keep my mask from fogging.

May I suggest you try the MAKO Minimus Mask.

I guarantee that it will work to your 100% satisfaction.

Comfortable, extremely good visibility (near zero restriction of peripheral and upward and downward vision) and will not leak. And since I sell direct, with no typical retail markup - the price for a very high quality mask is probably less than half what you might pay in a typical dive shop.

It is somewhat of an unusual design in that the mask strap is attached to tabs on the mask skirt. Most masks have buckles attached directly to the FRAME of the mask - where the plastic buckles are vulnerable to impact and breakage when the mask is dropped or mishandled. If the Minimus mask is treated similarly, the skirt will just bend inward and the buckle will not be stressed.

If the mask doesn't make you happy...I will accept a return.

thanks!

Dano

Minimus

I too have a narrow face, the only mask that has ever fitted comfortably and without leaking is the Atomic Aquatics Frameless in Medium. I have several version 1s. Good luck.

Went with the Aqualung Micro after ready many great reviews. Hopefully it will fit the bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom