Need some help with dry glove size.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ordering a slightly used Bare ATR-HD dry suit with dry gloves. Problem is that I've got small hands and I'm not sure what gloves to order. With my wetsuit I use a men's medium, which was a little bit tight but has loosened up. The rep indicates that the Bare size medium, is more a women's size medium and might be too small for me. She also said that a size large will compress while diving and fit snugly. But I'm still not reassured, so I measured my hand with fingers tight (including the thumb) and flat on a table. I'm hoping that one of you can give me some kind of advice about glove size.

Length from end of wrist to tip of index finger: 7.25 inches or roughly 18.25 cm

Width across the first set of knuckles (widest point including thumb): 4.25 inches or roughly 11 cm

Thanks for any help, I would prefer to get the order right the first time.

Tom

Fishy,

I can at least give you a point of reference. My hand is 7.5 in. from tip of index to the crease at my wrist (measured from palm side of hand). Across the knuckles I am 4.5. in. I was kind of on the border when I tried on the gloves. The L felt a little tight and the XL a little big. I went with the XL, and I would probably try the L if I had it to do again. There is a little too much excess at the tip of my thumb and it makes it difficult to clip/unclip small bolt snaps. It looks to me like the large would probably be a good fit for you since you hand is slightly smaller than mine. Also, you can order the another pair of gloves aftermarket (made by Atlas) for about $14-$15 if you really have a problem with the fit.

Frank

I have the Bare Dry Glove system and I use mediums. My wetsuit gloves are henderson glod core 5mm in medium. The medium Bare gloves are a pretty snug but I like it that way. If you plan on adding any additional layer beyond the wool mittens that comes with them, they will most likely be too tight. I originally ordered the large and they fit fine in terms of the thickness but there was too much excess on the finger tips.

Great glove system by the way, It's awesome that even though the gloves are "snap on O ring style and make a strong seal, your latex wrist seals are still there...just in case.

For best results, the tape measure needs to be wrapped around the palm of your hand.
I just happen to have a pile of gloves here & I'd be happy to do a real-time comparison.
In general, the Medium is 8"- 9", Large is 9"- 10", XL is 10"- 11".

AAAK! The thumbnail looks like crap, but if you click on it you'll see the "good" pic.

Bob,

Now, you got me wondering. I measured my hand and it came up 8.25 inches using your method. I can see myself wearing an additional layer under the gloves. Any advice about size.

Thanks

Tom

Bob3:
For best results, the tape measure needs to be wrapped around the palm of your hand.
I just happen to have a pile of gloves here & I'd be happy to do a real-time comparison.
In general, the Medium is 8"- 9", Large is 9"- 10", XL is 10"- 11".

AAAK! The thumbnail looks like crap, but if you click on it you'll see the "good" pic.

My hand also measures 8.25 inches (across the palm). I use a size large with a wool liner. On land, the large seemed a tad too big, but once in the water it fits just fine.

Bob,

I use the removable liner type and add a relatively thick wool liner. For me, the thing that made the large a better fit was the length of the fingers. My long skinny fingers were a bit cramped in the mediums. Any "extra" room I felt on the surface was not noticed once underwater.

Ok i am gonna drag up an old thread as it is right down my alley. I need to order a set of Atlas 495 blue gloves but am unsure which size to get. I know X-lg gloves are to big(fingers too long). My palm measures 9.5 around but am worried about finger length if i go with mediums which is why i am thinking buy large. Looking at the palm of my left hand and measuring from the base of my fingers to the tips are as folllows

1st finger 3"
Middle "birdie" finger 3 3/4"
finger next to pinky 3 1/4"
pinky 2 1/2"

Those with size med or large gloves let me know how you compare finger length wise, palm size and what size gloves(495 removable liners) you have. These are the gloves i will be buying for those interested http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.j...egularSearch&servletPath=/g2m&action=DoSearch

Back
Top Bottom