Need some help with 2 "unidentified"s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DamselDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some help id'ing a few creatures. Both pictures were taken in Key Largo on shallow reefs (20-40 feet). The first is something that I see frequently, but I don't know if it is a "critter", "coral" or an algae. The size is maybe 2 inches. The second image is very small (maybe an inch and a half). Any help would be welcome.

what_is_it.jpg

mystery_creature_2.jpg

Nice to have you around, thanks Chuck

I went through "the book" for Caribbean macroalgae and could not find something this *red*.

On another tack, it might be a gorgonian coral. That "white fuzz" on the lower area could be everted polyps (which tend to be white coloured in these groups), and the red "nodes" could be the calices where the polyps hide.

Ideas:
-Swiftia exserta
-Leptogorgia sp.
-Telesto fruticulosa (not a gorgonian but a telestacean)

I would have loved to snag this thing and stick it under a scope. :eyebrow:

Thank you both for the help.

Sorry for the delay in expressing my thanks. Over the Christmas break I will look through my files and see if I can find a better pic of the mystery coral/algae. It is something that I see frequently diving in Key Largo and there have been a few dives where I snap a few pictures for later study.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom