Need some advice on first Mexico dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be replying soon to those who sent me PM's but just got slammed at work. Right now I'm leaning towards PDC with 1 or 2 trips over to Coz for some reef diving.

Just to add to my earlier post. I just had an e-mail from a friend who observed some good coral growth in the reefs around Playa. I had just one reef dive close to shore and was not impressed but it seems there is good coral, I just didn't see it. In addition to the cenotes this makes Playa a great dive area.

• The reef and wall diving in Cozumel is far superior to the mainland. It rivals anywhere in the Carribean.
  • The Cenotes are easiest to access from Playa Del Carmen.
  • PDC provides easy access to terrestrial excursions like Tulum Ruins and Chichen Itza.
  • The beaches are about the same quality all over the area (except Tulum)
  • The truly gung-ho (and rich) can probably make it to Mahahual from PDC for superior undiscovered reef diving.
My subjective opinion (plus $1 will get you a coffee):
Playa Del Carmen is more entertaining, urbane & sophisticated, and has a more diverse and interesting international crowd than other destinations in the area. It's just a bit more compelling to spend time there than a Cozumel all inclusive or one of those weirdo isolationist "luxury" compounds that dot the coast.

Last edited:
The spotted eagle rays are suppose to be in Cozumel (end of Dec,Jan and Feb). We were there until Dec18 and unfortunately did not see any this year. If you are planning a trip soon...the eagle rays are something to think about. Someone on here who is currently in Cozumel will be posting info on them soon I bet. Watch to see if they have been spotted yet, and plan your trip accordingly...I guarentee you won't be sorry. Also, check AppleVacaions.com for price info. The airfares have dropped in the last two weeks.

I agree with TSandM. Aldora has the best operation in Cozumel. I have dove with them 3 times and staying with them once. If you want the "best bang for your buck " this is the place. It might seem a little more than some of the other shops but if ti is bottom time you are looking for you cant beat it. I was in Playa del Carmen in Nov. & it comes no where near what Coz diving offers. The Villa has internet, internet phone and cable TV. Also has kitchens in alot of the rooms to help keep costs down. check out aldora.com

Back
Top Bottom