Need some advice on Anilao this month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
Dear Board Members from the North,
I have yet to make it to Anilao and I would like to visit it somtime this month, I am mostly interested in shooting some video especially of the Nudibranchs and anything else that is unique to Anilao.

Think I will probally make it there midweek and stay a couple of days (like to miss the crowds) Can you suggest the most diver friendly place to stay and dive(either Fan or AC) I dont want to spend too much if possible, From everything I read it is probablly AQV???

PM's would be great and if you have any specific DM I should try to hook up with, that info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Roger

Aquaventure is pretty slow during the week. It would be quite expensive as you would need to pay for the bangka and DM withhout sharing costs. I've done this, but it's a bit pricey.
Check out Makdiver in Mabini/anialo. His dive shop leans towards underwater photo stuff.
He has a new resort geared for the budget traveler, San Jose Dive Camp. I am sure others will have a few more tips for you. You will enjoy diving in anilao.

I always dive in Planet Dive. It has the best house reef called Twin Rocks in Anilao. Current viz is great so I think its a good time to go. They do have budget rooms and its charged per person. Please contact them to check their prices.

Regards,

David

Balai looks like a nice place from the water and from the road. Would love to stay there on my next trip. It is all the way almost to the end of the penisula.

Location wise you can't go wrong with Planet Dive or Balai, as mentioned two of the best dive sites in Anilao are a few meters away so no need for boat transfers to them... Aquaventure tends to be quite expensive if you're not in a group, I'd suggest both Planet Dive and Balai above AV if you're staying for more than a few days. the Planet Dive 'house reef', Twin Rocks, also has a reputation for large Spanish Dancer sightings - although I've still not seen one at that site :depressed:

My personal favorite place is Arthurs Place, normally you can share a boat while the main guide, Lito, is a great spotter for Macro critters - dive facilities, rooms (AC or Fan) and food are okay. Bambu Villa would probably be my recommendation for something more upmarket, the Dive Op there is very good but quite expensive if you're not in a group - last time I went every dive was over 60 minutes, with several around 80 minutes. Acacia is also good but again it's on the upper end of the Anilao price range.

Once world of warning is that Nitrox fills are not provided in most Anilao places so they need to be pre-ordered, this tends to make them much more expensive and often seem to be missing some air when they actually arrive - I got a 'full' tank reading just over 160 Bar once! If you're shooting video you probably want some extra bottom time so staying at a resort with Nitrox would be recommended - The resorts providing Nitrox fills (that I know of) are:

- Aquaventure
- Planet Dive
- Pier Uno (Great dive set-up and guides but a bit far away and bad food!)
- Acacia
- Crystal Blue now have a BIG 'Nitrox Fills' banner so I'm guessing they have it :)?

Any I've missed?

Karl

PS - For Nudi's a trip to Sinandigan Wall is PG is a must, not only is there lots, there are always some huge ones there.....

For photo/video shooting and single traveler service, you might want to check out Club Ocellaris as well. Bill22 stayed with them and highly recommends them. Boy Venus, the owner, is a good man in my conversations with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom