Need shrimp expertise Asia Pacific region please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Shrimp-small.gif
Here's a photo of a shrimp taken in the Andaman Sea at a depth of about 12 m. The animal was about 2.5 cm. in length, tucked under a hard coral table (tail is hidden). Any shrimp experts out there? I'm supposing it's a Periclimenes sp. because of the claw(s), but my knowledge of shrimps is extremely limited, so help?

You used to be right :) A number of these long-armed Periclimenes have been transferred into the genus Kemponia. Based on the long chela with reddish-brown claws & the yellow spots on the forearms this one appears to be a Kemponia platycheles stuffed full of eggs.

LeslieH:
You used to be right :) A number of these long-armed Periclimenes have been transferred into the genus Kemponia. Based on the long chela with reddish-brown claws & the yellow spots on the forearms this one appears to be a Kemponia platycheles stuffed full of eggs.

LOL, "used to be" right, LOL. I wasn't even sure, let alone close to right...

Wow, though! Thanks so much for the ID. I searched through the entire crustaceans book I've got for Asia-Pac and couldn't find anything with that kind of coloration on the legs. You rock!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom