Need shore dive guide??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"the Oahu Snorelers and Shore DIvers guide" book by F. DeCarvalho is a ggod book,
plus check out www.sealancers.org our dive clubs website also lists GPS co-ords for boat dives, and we dive every weekend, on a "pitch in for gas" basis......jimbo

Thanks to all for your responses and I greatly appreciate kidspot and howard4113 offers to dive with us! I will PM you both when we have more details. Thanks again! :)

mrjimboalaska:
"the Oahu Snorelers and Shore DIvers guide" book by F. DeCarvalho is a ggod book,
plus check out www.sealancers.org our dive clubs website also lists GPS co-ords for boat dives, and we dive every weekend, on a "pitch in for gas" basis......jimbo

cool. thats a helpsful site. thanks

Hi there. I was in Maui for the first time in Nov/Dec. Like you, we thought we'd supplement our boat diving with shore diving, not only to save dollars, but for the variety as well. After all, most of our diving around here in BC is shore diving.
We bought a book with local shore dives when we got there, as well as using the Maui dive guide. It was very helpful for locating the sites, as they really aren't marked as such. A lot of areas are great for snorkeling, but too shallow to dive, at least without a huge surface swim out. If you can get a guide, especially for the first dives, it would be well worth it. We were recommended to Shaka Doug as well, as he knows the Kihei/Makena area in particular inside out. We didn't get a chance to dive with him though. In fact, by the time we were going to dive that area the surf and swells were picking up making entry rather difficult/dangerous. We had to lay on the beach instead (so terrible :wink: Again, this is where the locals can help out. Sometimes when it's rough at one end of the island it can be much calmer at the other end, or at particular sites. The seasons can make a difference too. I think you'll have better luck in July.
I did some dives with Tim before my boyfriend got there, and if you get the chance, definitely do dive with him. If he's busy, at least pick his brain about where to dive, especially in the Lahaina area. He has great knowledge of the area and we did some terrific dives. One nice easy little dive to do is Airport Beach. It has handy parking, facilities, and easy entry off a popular beach. It drops to about 20 feet quickly over the reef without a long surface swim. It is shallow, and you'll have snorkelers over you, but for such a convenient site, there was lots to see, including tons of fish, eels and turtles. I went back again with my boyfriend and again saw many turtles and eels. Oh, another thing... it tends to be best to get out there early!
If you do at least 2 boat dive trips, do dive Molokini and the cathedrals at Lanai. Both trips are well worth the money. There's so much to see and the viz. tends to be better further from shore.
Have a great trip! :)

Aloha! Whether you dive with me or someone else, it's totally in your best interest to get a guided dive tour here on Maui. Weather and water conditions are constantly changing. The site that was great yesterday could be completely blown out today. If you treat yourself to the luxury of hiring a guide you will end up at the best dive site, you will maximize your bottom time, you won't worry about navigation or what to do if an emergency happens. You will stay legal in regards to tresspassing and dive flags too. If you want to see critters, a guide will find the things you would easily overlook.

35 dives is a good start. Most of the certified divers I meet have less than two dozen dives in their log books (if they even remember to bring their logbooks!). If you want to chance it, you can rent gear and go. If you want to really get the most out of your underwater time and money here, go on a good tour with a good guide. If you would like more info about what I can offer you, please feel free to PM me. I've taken thousands of certified divers out on tours. Almost every single one of them has picked up some good advice, learned a better way of doing things, saw something they had no idea was there, or had a problem that needed to be fixed to save the dive for them. I'd be happy to make your dives easier for you while you're here.

I don't know what you are planning on bringing along in regards to gear but keep in mind that most guided shore tours (mine anyways) include complete equipment for not that much more than the cost of renting it and doing things on your own. And when you're done, you walk away and get on to your next activity. No returning the gear to the shop, no cleaning it in your bathroom at your condo, no waiting for it to dry before you pack it and no lugging it around the airports! Makes for some very easy, stress free diving! Isn't that what everyone wants?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom