Need shore dive guide??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sra2

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are excited about our trip to Maui and TBI in July. We have noticed the $$ of boat diving (especially since we use Nitrox exclusively) and thus wanted to include some shore dives. Shaka Doug comes highly recommended on this site for guided shore dives in Kihei (where we are staying in Maui) but we were wondering if a guide is a necessity or a luxury? We are fairly new divers (35 dives each) and have never dove in Hawaii before. So, in your knowledgable opinions, should divers like us go with a guide for safety (among other) reasons or could we go it on our own with a good map?

Thanks so much!
sra2

The last two trips we have made to Maui, my husband and I have done some shore diving by ourselves and it's gone quite well. Shorediving.com is a great resource, with pictures of everything from the parking to the entry/exit. We also dove with kidspot and had a wonderful time -- he showed us some places up at and past Lahaina that were great diving. In fact, we had such a good time shore diving that I don't think we plan any charters on our trip in June.

You could always pick out one or two shore dives that sound interesting in Kihei (south Maui), and then have Shaka give you a tour of them the first time... then go by yourselves the next day. You would have an idea of where all the fun stuff is at (and all the reports say he knows how to find them) and you could explore on your own after that.

You can also pick up a great book at any lds here called "The Divers Guide To Maui" excellent resource.

If you are interested in a local buddy, I'd be happy to join you guys on some dives up Lahaina side and show you some of my favorite spots here... it just has to be on a day I can go diving (June-July I'm busy on land... but don't want to neglect the water lol)

Drop me a PM when you have your exact dates and we'll see what we can work out.

Aloha, Tim

A map will get you to the dive sites and describe the general layout and hazards. I've not seen one that has a good outline of the reefs and how to best enjoy the sites. "The Divers' Guide to Maui" is pretty good but a bit dated and lacks detail. You can get a free guide to island diving from Maui Dive Shop. We all have a copy - even though we don't necessarily dive with them. I've heard great things about Shaka Doug, and you could dive Makena a dozen times yourself and never find the things he (or other local divers) have discovered over years of diving the local waters. If you go to 14 mile marker, you'll probably never even get out to the reef (water's too shallow) if you don't know where the sand channel is. So yes you can do it yourself. You'll enjoy it more with a guide and be safer too. If you'd like, I'll take you out for several dives - no charge. I'm a new divemaster but I only dive on the weekends (I have a regular 8-5 job). PM me if you're interested.

Mark

sra2:
...especially since we use Nitrox exclusively ...

I forgot to mention that most of the shore diving is in less than 40ft (frequently less than 20), so Nitrox is rarely used, however if you want it the best places I've found are B&B (Kihei) and Pacific Dive (Lahaina)

Aloha, Tim

From a safety and enjoyment point of view I would do some diving with a local DM/Instructor. The amount of hidden, endemic, and flat out amazing marine critters you will see will double AT LEAST! I agree with the previous posts. Many of the sites can be dove with ease - but if you do it with a DM or at least an experienced guide first you will be rewarded 10 fold. I've only heard great things about Shaka - and also numerous outstanding reviews about Octopus Reef's Lynne and Renee. That Maui guide tends to be a little outdated but useful as a tool to get some ideas. Good luck to you - you'll love Maui underwater!

Best of island wishes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom