need Sherwood Maximus 1st stage info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-QC

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Maximus and the 1st stage has 2 designated primary, 3 secondary LP ports. I was wondering if those primary are really important compare to secondary ports. I'm trying to make a streamline hose configuration but it would be a lot better if I could use any LP ports for my 2nd stage..

On the sherwood book that came with it, they don't even speak about the primary ones...it's just 5 LP and 2 HP ports...

It's a technical question I know but maybe someone has an idea about it....

Thanks

Hi ScubaQC,

I have been diving an unbalanced Sherwood Brut which has 1 primary LP port. When the tank pressure is low (near 50 bar) after a dive, I can detect a big difference in the flow rate of the primary versus the normal LP ports. When I purge my octo which is on the normal LP port, it gives a much weaker purge compared to the same type 2nd stage on the primary LP port. At that pressure, the 2nd stage on the primary LP port purges with a healthy blast (sounds like it does with a full tank). When the tank is at full pressure, I cant tell the difference using the purge test.

The Maximus is balanced which might make a difference compared to my experience, but you can test this yourself with a tank at low pressure and your 2nd stages mounted on the two different ports.

Hope this helps.

We have a 2 Sherwood Blizzard rigs with the same 1st stage. I agree that the scant literature dosen't say much. The Sherwood website has this statemant in the description: "Two, primary-flow ports boost outlet pressure to the second stage for easier breathing" I used the 2 primary ports for the primary second stage and the alternate second stage. Then the inflator went in the best fitting secondary.

They were bought a week apart. The first one was set-up as described and the second had the *** on a secondary port, I just moved it.

Pete

Just a quick note regarding the brut, it has different internal components than the Maximus (thus it is unbalanced and will always breathe hard towards the end of a dive regardless of the port used). The primary ports simply have an extra hole drilled internally to provide extra ir flow. You can notice this hole if you remove the plugs of a regular port and the primary port. So yes it is a little better to use the primary port but with a maximus that can usually adjust to the point of freeflow, not really.
PS - Did you try usign the primary port on the bottom side of the reg? It would work nice with the underarm hose style of the Maximus.

derwoodwithasherwood:
You might want to have a look here for additional guidance.

I'm surprised Marek hasn't already suggested it... :wink:
I've been following the thread, and have sure been tempted.

Just didn't want to sound... you know... repetitive. :D

The Maximus tech manual doesn't seem to mention anything about which LP port(s) a second stage needs to be connected to, though.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom