Need Sea Of Cortez Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from Loreto. 1 word sums up my experience diving "AMAZING"

Warm, clear calm waters with little to no currents or surges, great dive crews and a hell of a time. We dove with sea lions, Turtles and all sorts of eels and marine life. There is a minesweeper sunk off puerto escondido that is great to dive in about 70 feet of water. Got to swim in the open sea with about 100+ dolphins that were traveling around our boat.

I would dive Loreto again in a heart beat, hotel & diving for 5 nights 4 days was like $570 per person...how can you beat that and all only a 1hr 50 minute flight from Los Angeles. Food is very good at El Nido's in town and a fat plate of seafood runs you about $15

Anyone need a dive buddy for loreto let me know I'm dying to go back and I have only been home 5 days

Ill be there in just under two months.! From everything I have heard here and from the other folks Im going with that have already been there, Loreto is the place to be if you plan on diving allot.. If you want to go there to party and do a couple of dive's then Cabo is a better bet.

Phil

Phylo and Iggy, is Loreto worthwhile or even possible for a weekend? Working in the San Diego area until November '05, I can fly out of SAN, LA, or Orange County on Friday mornings, or even Thursday nights depending on schedules, and return Sunday evenings. In fact, this weekend I'm going to Cabo Pulmo, diving Friday night and Saturday. I originally looked for convenient Loreto flights, but all the flights go through Mexico City or Guadalajara, costing too much time.

I already have airfare squared away for my trip in October. Im going down with the shop I work out of and we bought a bunch of tickets a few months ago direct from LAX to Loreto for $250 each. Of course if a great deal were to be had, I might just be tempted to try for an earlier trip as well.

Let me know what you come up with and we will go from there.

Phil

WaterWayne:
Phylo and Iggy, is Loreto worthwhile or even possible for a weekend? Working in the San Diego area until November '05, I can fly out of SAN, LA, or Orange County on Friday mornings, or even Thursday nights depending on schedules, and return Sunday evenings. In fact, this weekend I'm going to Cabo Pulmo, diving Friday night and Saturday. I originally looked for convenient Loreto flights, but all the flights go through Mexico City or Guadalajara, costing too much time.

A weekend trip is doable but don't forget it's advised not to fly for 18-24 hours after your last dive so that is gonna suck a bit if your there for 1-2 days only. I loved loreto and the small fishing village atmosphere I would dive loreto again any chance I had.

Call over to Bajaoutpost and ask them to set you up they have a cool little rugged camp and its perfect for a short few day diving trip

Also there are a few operations that offer free shorediving while in Loreto...dont fall for it I swam out over 500 yards from shore and saw nothing but sand and the water never got deeper than 12'. I then tried it at night and same thing nothing but ballonfish as far as the eye can see...although I did see a few Spotted Eel snakes at night out feeding in the sandy areas.

Checkout Aerocalifornia for flights I think they only have 1 per day, but it was cheap, uncrowded and direct from LAX

Both Alaska Air and Aerocalifornia fly to Loreto direct from LA on Thursday (early pm) and return on Sunday. One thing about Alaska -- they are sticklers on baggage weight. My sweetie and I thought it would be easier to consolidate our gear into one bag, but that ended up costing us $25.

WaterWayne:

Just got back from La Paz. As the only diver in the group I'm happy that everybody else including the kids love La Paz and Club Cantamar. I'd didn't go on the whale shark dive as I was too tired from the dives on the previous day, but the ones who went out did see whale sharks. Club Cantamar uses a spotter plane to look for the whale sharks...so the probability is very high that you'll see them.

For you Loreto fans: I heard this weekend in Cabo Pulmo that Loreto dive shops aren't open on Sundays, the holy day. I respect that, especially since I would be flying on Sunday, but are there any other restrictions? What is their availability for night diving?

On Bajaoutpost.com (thanks, Iggy!), there is a good list of flights from SoCal. Almost all require a long weekend, starting with a Thursday or even Wednesday flight. It looks like I'll be professionally "sick" some Thursday soon...

TIA,
Wayne

This is a small town, these aren't huge operations, so ask and see...

WaterWayne:
For you Loreto fans: I heard this weekend in Cabo Pulmo that Loreto dive shops aren't open on Sundays, the holy day. I respect that, especially since I would be flying on Sunday, but are there any other restrictions? What is their availability for night diving?

On Bajaoutpost.com (thanks, Iggy!), there is a good list of flights from SoCal. Almost all require a long weekend, starting with a Thursday or even Wednesday flight. It looks like I'll be professionally "sick" some Thursday soon...

TIA,
Wayne

Spoon:
i have seen numerous films on natl geo on the great white sharks of guadalupe. that area seems so eerie id love to check it out:)

Was there last December on a scientific trip to radio tag the great whites. Check out my newspaper columns on the trip archived on my web site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom