Need Sea Of Cortez Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone:

Me n Mrs Wetvet are planning a trip to (Probably) the Sea of Cortez for September. I believe this is a good time for pelagic encounters, but am having a tough time discovering the best area to dive in the Sea of Cortez.

Logically, I would expect pelagics to be more abundant around the mouth of the bay, near Cabos san Lucas (plus there is a time-share there, which would work good for us), but I see a lot of excursions from Le Paz, and even Loretto. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Having swam with a whale shark in the Galapagos Islands last year, I would love to share the experience with Mrs Wetvet.
Thanks in advance

Wetvet

wetvet:
Hi Everyone:

Me n Mrs Wetvet are planning a trip to (Probably) the Sea of Cortez for September. I believe this is a good time for pelagic encounters, but am having a tough time discovering the best area to dive in the Sea of Cortez.

Logically, I would expect pelagics to be more abundant around the mouth of the bay, near Cabos san Lucas (plus there is a time-share there, which would work good for us), but I see a lot of excursions from Le Paz, and even Loretto. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Having swam with a whale shark in the Galapagos Islands last year, I would love to share the experience with Mrs Wetvet.
Thanks in advance

Wetvet

Stay in the timeshare in Los Cabos; do a La Paz day dive trip. You'll have to leave at 6am, and it will be a long day, but you get to dive La Paz.

Also, look into doing a trip to Gordo Banks from Cabo (large pelagics are known to frequent Gordo Banks).

I have dived extensively in the La Paz-Loreto region (mainly the offshore islands). Really enjoyed my experiences there. Have also dived the Cabo area and found even Land's End to be very worthwhile.

Of course I've never met a dive I didn't like!

The best diving (by far) in the Sea of Cortez is out of La Paz IMHO. Theres:

El Bajo (hammerheads),
Los Islotes (sea lion rookery, a blast to dive with),
Salvatierre (a 300' wreck at 60')
and a lot more. I'm looking forward to going back there.

The top side attractions are a lot better in Cabo though. La Paz doesn't have a whole lot there, but its been 8 years since Ive been there, so it may have gotten better (although it wasn't that bad). So If I was going with a non diver, I would do Cabo with a trip up to La Paz, but if I was just going for the diving, I would stay at La Paz.

kelpmermaid:
Or do you want a land based trip?

Kelpmermaid-

I was thinking of a trip to Loreto this summer and noticed that you'll be headed there soon. Where do you stay and who do you dive with? Any advice would be appreciated. Ken :42:

i have seen numerous films on natl geo on the great white sharks of guadalupe. that area seems so eerie id love to check it out:)

Spoon:
i have seen numerous films on natl geo on the great white sharks of guadalupe. that area seems so eerie id love to check it out:)

Guadalupe is on the Pacific side of Baja California, not Sea of Cortez (aka Gulf of California). Water is colder, being on the Pacific. I think it's a pretty hefty boat trip too (e.g. not right off the coast).

The "Lonely Planet" guide to scuba diving Baja is a good resource:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-3667796-7450504?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Howdy.

I'm an American living/ diving in Australia for 2 years, but I grew up in San Diego and I have been diving and exploring in Baja for over 40 years.

Guadalupe Island is about a 200 mile boat trip from San Diego and it's awesome, but it's a world away from Baja's Sea of Cortez.

I'd like to recommend Leon's operation Bajaoutpost.com for a place to dive from. La Paz is wonderful, Cabo is a scene, but Loreto is magic. Loreto is the tourist town that never caught on. I Love Loreto for it's near misses and "wanna be" attitude.

In 30 years, it's grown from a sleepy town of 4,000 to a town of 10,000- this is slow growth in Baja Sur terms! Loreto is the old Capital of California, before we took "California Norte" from the Mexicans. Loreto's old town is north of the "new Loreto" which was moved off the arroyo after a nasty chubasco over a century ago.

Loreto's laid back and still small compared to La Paz or Cabo which have both lost their character back in the very early 70's. La Paz has more organized diving, but Loreto is my sentimental favorite. If you take the time to read John Steinbeck's "The Log from the Sea Of Cortez" where he ventured into Baja's waters with Doc Ricketts of Cannery Row fame (he was a real marine biologist!) you'll want to savor the waters in and around Loreto.

Leon, the owner of Baja Outpost, is a blue- eyed Argentnian that moved from the waters of Catalina, California to Loreto after years of looking for the "right spot" to open a modest dive resort.

Leon's love for the "Sea" and it's prolific waters is a bonus one cannot find in La Paz or Cabo, where the operators are there for the money. If you want to take in the Sea of Cortez for it's romantic past and see all that is Baja and was Baja, Loreto is where you'll want to go and Leon is your guide.

Diving?

Las Animas is magic. At Las Animas you can see the fishes from the Eastern Pacific mingle with the fishes from the Indio-Pacific. I'd start a conversation with Leon through e-mail about your desires. Leon and his labrador, Bogart, will guide you to what Baja is really about. If it's adventure you're looking for, head to Loreto.

In 2000, with Leon's help, we took 20 people on an 80 mile panga boat trip to San Jose Island and set up a base camp, complete with generators, compressors, tents, food, a cook, and boat hands for a one week diving adventure of Las Animas, El Bajo, and other islands nearby. This IS Baja and Leon can take you there.

If you want "in and out"- go to La Paz or Cabo. If you want to connect to the remanents of the "genuine Baja" head to Leon and Bajaoutpost.

I sound like an advertiser for him don't I? :D

I made my first trip to Cabo from San Diego over the old dirt road in 1962. I remember......and if you want to feel that flavor.....go there, and avoid La Paz (population 150,000) or the out of control American playground- Cabo.

You won't regret it.

If it's strictly pelagics you're looking for it's the Socorro Islands on a liveaboard that will meet your desires.

here's a fun read about Socorro....http://www.diveatlas.com/travel/mexico6.asp

Have fun!

shep

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom