Need Regulator Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DustyDiver

Reaction score
I'm returning to diving after two years off (glad to be able to get wet again!!) I want to buy my first regulator, but need some advice on the best type to buy. I've researched the threads, but am still a little confused. I'm a warm water diver, usually less than 90 feet. I'm looking for a simple, safe, dependable regulator that breathes easily. My LDS only carries Oceanic, Beuchat, and Dive Rite. Does anyone have an opinion on these and would they meet my needs? Also, is there a good discount dive site to purchase Beuchat?

No real discounts on the Beuchat, They are not to popular in these parts as they arejusta copy of the apeks regs. Nothing wrong with the Dive Rite or Oceanic though. The Dive rite may be something a little to deep for you if you are limited to 90 feet. If the price is low though go for it.
As far as Oceanic goes, they make decent regs. Youwould be satisfied with something like an Alpha 7 with a first stage other than the SP4. You would also like the GT for its light weight. If you like the idea of the sie exhaust check out the Omega. Some people find it breathes wet, I don't.
These are just suggestions, it depends is your LDS has good prices and how much you would like tospend. Maybe come back with specific regs and their prices...

sorry but my favorite reg is the aqua lung titan micra. it is small and adjustable to how much/little/flow you want to breath. and definitly reliable. its great for a newish diver and for the old experienced divers, NOT SAYING THAT ALL EXPERIENCED DIVERS ARE OLD!:wink:

Thanks everyone, that gives me some guidelines to go on.

And teendiver -- not all old divers are experienced. :)

lol

[QUOTEI=jrdivagrl]lol[/QUOTE]
After extensive research, your advice, and reading every thread I could find, I bought the Dive Rite 2000 with the balanced first and second stage. I'm trying it out in Aruba in two weeks and will let you know how it goes.

DustyDiver:
[QUOTEI=jrdivagrl]lol
After extensive research, your advice, and reading every thread I could find, I bought the Dive Rite 2000 with the balanced first and second stage. I'm trying it out in Aruba in two weeks and will let you know how it goes.[/QUOTE]
Should be decent. The dive rite stuff is all designed with cavers in mind. So it should be a great adjustable moderate climate reg that will stand up to hard use....

Thanks Rescuediver. When you say moderate temp, how cold will it go and still perform well?

DustyDiver:
Thanks Rescuediver. When you say moderate temp, how cold will it go and still perform well?

there is no temperature where regs all of a sudden crap out on you. Just the recommended stuff I would think that a typical unsealed, unheatsinked reg wouldn't give you any trouble until you got below 45 degrees or so. I think that most manufacturers rate cold water as below 55 though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom