Need recommendation: Positively buoyant fin for tech(-ish) diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are there any fins out there that are (a) appropriate for technical diving and (b) positively buoyant?

Here's why I'm asking... I'm working on my PADI Tec40 class, and I'm interested in moving onward into the technical diving realm. At present, I'm almost exclusively diving sidemount and use OMS Slipstream fins (XXL) for both my wet- and drysuit diving. Problem is, those fins are supposed to have neutral buoyancy, but I'm foot-heavy in both exposure suits, even if I put trim weights on my shoulders and wear 6.5mm Scubapro booties and neoprene socks with the wetsuit.

There are two possibilities I can think of for being foot-heavy. The first is my tanks. Currently, I'm diving 2 x Faber HP 100s, but I've had similar results with PST HP 120s and Coyne LP 95s, so I think they're not the culprits. (I'm going to test this hypothesis by experimenting with tanks and learning how to use backmounted doubles, so please don't bother telling me that my tanks are all wrong or that I need to ditch diving sidemount.)

The second possibility is my exposure protection. I'm typically going deep in the local quarry, so if I dive wet, it's in a 5mm suit with either a 3mm hooded vest or a Lavacore vest with a separate 5mm drysuit hood. This amount of insulation might make me chest-light, but considering that I have the same sinking-feet problem in a drysuit unless I intentionally inflate my legs, I think that foot-heavy is my natural state.

Thus, I'm looking for fin recommendations. Anyone?

Deep 6 eddy fin- positively buoyant and shaped much like a jet.

What TC said, but in the meanwhile there is a workaround in a drysuit, carefully allowing gas to enter your lower-leg area, and then bending the knees to trap it, can trim you out quite nicely with heavy fins.

The third possibility is your posture. You have to put a little effort into keeping you feet up, not just let them hang there. Your back should be straight from shoulders to knees and you will likely feel a little tension in your glutes when it is. The Eddy fins are great, but not that much lighter than the Slipstreams.

Maybe before getting new fins, go dive with a tech instructor and have him/her look at your trim and setup. It is strange to be leg heavy to this point with double steel, light fins and drysuits.

Second the Eddy fins.

Back
Top Bottom