Need Recommendation for PADI Divemaster course in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman, thanks for the feedback. You make some very good points that I agree with and hold as well.

Right now, I'm trying see "what I can do". I'm not thinking too much about assisting with classes, etc. I dive for fun. I think taking this class will be a good experience. Before I would even consider helping with OW classes at my LDS, I would first intern for a full season with my LDS owner/instructor.

In 2008 I got PADI and SSI Master Diver. In 2009 it is NACD Cavern, PADI Wreck, SDI Solo, and TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures. For 2010 it's TDI Extended Range and PADI DiveMaster, and yes, for 2011 it's PADI OWSI in Utila. Hey, I'm a planner.

Anyway, still looking for someone that did their DM in Bonaire and can give a recommendation.

How long is your planned stay in Bonaire? It takes a while to become a good DM; it's not just "a class" that you can simply bang out in a week. It's a whole learning curve with Academic, Water Skills & Stamina, and Assisting aspects that need to be introduced and mastered.

Basically, you don't get your DM then Intern with an Instructor; the Internship is PART of the DM course.

Pax,

I asked a similar question once and someone posted "why waste your vacation taking xxx course, take the course local then practice and enjoy it on your vacation.

Free advice worth all you pay for it.

IDC= Instructor Development Course

If your looking for a more challanging course that will test your diving skills, you might want to consider the GUE DIR-F instead of DM. I don't subscribe to a lot of the DIR way of doing things but fact is they are darn fine divers. IF you pass you will have great diving skills. There is a GUE instructor on Bonaire.

OK, so please forgive me for starting this thread. :)

Herman, yes thanks, I know what IDC stands for, sorry I was not clear, I was trying to figure out what Oly was trying to tell me about where to take the IDC and why it would offend my LDS (local dive shop) if I picked the "wrong" place. Still confused on this one. :confused:

Pax, in fact, MANY places offer a complete (according to PADI, I asked them) DM course, including all the things you mention, except the internship, in 8 days with the DM cert. Also, many places offer an internship, after getting the DM cert. I saw it on the internet, so it must be true. :wink:

well gang, I'm gonna go study for my SDI Solo class on Saturday (by the way, I never plan on diving solo!).

Last edited:
OK, so please forgive me for starting this thread. :)

Herman, yes thanks, I know what IDC stands for, sorry I was not clear, I was trying to figure out what Oly was trying to tell me about where to take the IDC and why it would offend my LDS (local dive shop) if I picked the "wrong" place. Still confused on this one. :confused:

Pax, in fact, MANY places offer a complete (according to PADI, I asked them) DM course, including all the things you mention, except the internship, in 8 days with the DM cert. Also, many places offer an internship, after getting the DM cert. I saw it on the internet, so it must be true. :wink:

well gang, I'm gonna go study for my SDI Solo class on Saturday (by the way, I never plan on diving solo!).

Tom; its not that you go to the wrong place for your IDC .Its the way the facility can make some $ off your IDC..The course director may do the IDC at your facility if it is qualified to hold one,OR if at an alternate location the LDS can still make something off the IDC when the course director "rewards " them for the referral.

Oookay.

Not to be niggling, but my handle isn't "Pax", it's SubMariner. Pax is Latin for "Peace". :)

I think you are being confused by the way that the term "Internship" is being used in the ads you are reading about the PADI DM course. By PADI Standards, the DM course may be done one of two ways: Internship & Practical.

The Instructor manual differentiates between the two thusly: For certification, divemaster candidates must successfully complete the Required Training Exercises 1-3 and either the entire Internship or all the Practical Training Exercises.

The easiest way to illustrate the difference between these two options would be by the example of working with students. During an Internship you have a certain number of modules you must complete with an Instructor, some of which are Confined and Open water sessions of the Open Water Course. However, the Practical application method has the Candidate perform the necessary functions during training simulations where students are usually portrayed by certified divers.

Personally, I prefer certifying DMs through Internship.

I know very little, and I've barely been around the block once. However, I do try to do proper research when I'm interested in a topic.

No, I'm not confused on the Internship that I spoke of, although I do know of how you are using it. I'm doing more than just looking at ads. I've spoken with several IDCs, who after a person has the DM Cert, offer internships, I've also spoken with my LDS, who will do the internship before or after the cert. So, yes a candidate can intern during the DM cert process, and yes, a certified DM can intern after getting the card.

I think certifying DMs through an intership is the better way to produce a skilled DM who is a valuable asset to an instructor. Just happens to be not what I'm looking for. Is that OK?

Last edited:
Herman, thanks for the feedback. You make some very good points that I agree with and hold as well.

Right now, I'm trying see "what I can do". I'm not thinking too much about assisting with classes, etc. I dive for fun. I think taking this class will be a good experience. Before I would even consider helping with OW classes at my LDS, I would first intern for a full season with my LDS owner/instructor.

In 2008 I got PADI and SSI Master Diver. In 2009 it is NACD Cavern, PADI Wreck, SDI Solo, and TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures. For 2010 it's TDI Extended Range and PADI DiveMaster, and yes, for 2011 it's PADI OWSI in Utila. Hey, I'm a planner.

Anyway, still looking for someone that did their DM in Bonaire and can give a recommendation.

Let me give you something else to think about. You say "I'm not thinking too much about assisting with classes, etc. I dive for fun. I think taking this class will be a good experience." I too thought like this and "worked" for a local dive shop earning my DM and helping them with classes. I now regret it. Why? I did it as a learning experience, like you say you want to do, and now must forever carry liability insurance and never seem to be able to dive my dive when I go with the group. Though I dont help this dive shop anymore with students I just recently went with this dive shop to Bonaire. As I was a DM everyone that went with me on shore diving wanted me to lead the group. As such I felt responsible for everyone. If you really have no desire to teach then whatever you do DONT get your DM. Work on other areas, do the Tech route. Just don't go the professional route. I wish I hadn't.

Let me give you something else to think about. You say "I'm not thinking too much about assisting with classes, etc. I dive for fun. I think taking this class will be a good experience." I too thought like this and "worked" for a local dive shop earning my DM and helping them with classes. I now regret it. Why? I did it as a learning experience, like you say you want to do, and now must forever carry liability insurance and never seem to be able to dive my dive when I go with the group. Though I dont help this dive shop anymore with students I just recently went with this dive shop to Bonaire. As I was a DM everyone that went with me on shore diving wanted me to lead the group. As such I felt responsible for everyone. If you really have no desire to teach then whatever you do DONT get your DM. Work on other areas, do the Tech route. Just don't go the professional route. I wish I hadn't.

I, too, am considering doing a divemaster internship, but currently moreso for the experience, and to get some more exposure to dive shop operations and working experience to see how I like or dislike it.

Is this true that once you obtain PADI Divemaster certification, you must forever carry liability insurance? Even if i were to continue diving recreationally and as a non-employee of any dive operation?

I did the PADI DM course in the early 90's and had insurance for a couple of years--but no insurance since. I do not do DM stuff now. My wife is a DM and has insurance and is working regularly as a dive guide. She needs the PADI insurance, I do not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom