Need recommendation for Open Water instructor near Memphis, TN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe8mofo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need information on a couple of recommended scuba instructors around the Memphis area for my cousin and his fiancée as they are interested in getting certified.

The Dive Shop in Memphis is excellent; pricey, but excellent. They stand behind their gear and have great instructors. My wife and I were both certified in 2006. We had different instructors and I did a few spec courses to complete my AOW while she did not.

Chip Clay, Chuck Baker and Jason (can't believe I forgot his last name) are all excellent instructors and the trips to Heber Springs were always an adventure.

I haven't been there since '07 but they are currently helping me resolve an issue with a Suunto Cobra I purchased from them in '06. I know that's a little more than you asked for... Good luck to your fam on their certifications.

Chip trained me back in 2001. Great instructor. Very thorough.

The Dive Shop itself, hasn't dealt with the transition in the dive industry very well. The last person I referred there ran anyway in sticker shock and asked me "why do I need to buy a wetsuit to get certified?". I was downright embarrassed for having referred them. It turned them off to diving altogether.

Gear purchases are where brick and mortar stores make their money. The internet means less gear sales for many shops for certified divers. The first and last time a training shop may be able to sell you gear, is during your training (many people train, checkout, but never dive again). So the answer of course, is to require a full kit and wetsuit to train in the only 15 foot indoor pool in greater Memphis.

I wonder if this is one of those big picture issues where the focus on milking trainees missed the bigger picture of growing your potential customer base. Well, duh.

If you are interested in getting certified.... not getting a bunch of gear you don't need yet.... go to Saralynn Turner at Easy Divers (Home Page). You can't go wrong with her.

The service at the Dive Shop in Memphis is second to none, but quality comes at a price. I chose to spend a little more on private instruction, but he saved me a lot when it came to gear. If you're still looking, shoot me a PM and I'll give you his info. If they choose to go through the Dive Shop, that's great- like I said, the people there are very personable and will teach you the right stuff.

Back
Top Bottom