Need quick scuba fix: NYC to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my check out dives in the Bahamas and have to say, I have no great interest in rushing back there. Unless you go to an out-island where the diving is supposed to be better, I wouldn't bother.

Cozumel is great. Not a non-stop flight from NYC airports, but, we fly into Cancun and it's a painless and cheap hop down to Playa del Carmen and then over to Coz on the ferry. Air with Continental out of Newark works best for us. 9:15a departure arrives in Cancun around 12:30. Last month we were lucky with a quick time through customs and the drive down had not traffic. We were at our hotel on the island 3:00! We are hoping for the same for our mid-Feb trip. One note on Coz in Feb. Carnival runs Feb 22-28 and things are booking up. We are going 15th - 20th, but with all the big resorts still closed post-Wilma, hotels for mid-Feb and March and booking up. We do a conecting flight through Houston on our return so we can fly out of Coz and not schlep back to Cancun. Our Feb air was around $400pp, but it was booked last month so it may be higher now.

Continental is now flying non-stop to Curacao. Looks like an easy flight at around 4 1/2 hrs. We plan to do it this summer.

Grand Cayman is also an option. There are non-stops but not every day of the week. We used to go once or twice a year to the Cayman Diving Lodge on East End, but they are still not rebuilt after Ivan. Ocean Frontiers is on the East End and has nice new condos and decent packages. I've dived north, west and east on GC and I like the East End diving the best.

If you are interested there is a place called Rincon (West of the PR) with several places to rent. Prices from 100 to 150 per day for a studio or even a house with two room tel 787-939-717-5510. The hoses are in front of the sea shore. This place have a wall from 40' to 140' but you need to swim for about 12 min. At about 45 min to the north you have Isabela Caves, Crash Boat to the south at about one hour you have la Parguera and Guanica. These places have wanderfull wall from 60' to 400' visibility >70' and the boat operator can charge you from $65 to $85 per to boat dives. I know a boat operator that can go out with only 5 persons his tel is 787-309-6556 or 787-597-3610. If at the same time you are interested in any Technical Diving Course just call me 787-652-7412 or 787-538-3022 www.technicaldivingpr.com

Also in NYC...

I found some great fares to Nassau on Spirt Air with direct flight for $39 each way. I booked for late March and will suffer thru the spring breakers for the price. I agree with the posts above on the ok diving on that island if you don't set up what dive spots you want prior to arrival, or you can take (with the cash you save on air fair) a boat/puddel jumper to one of the cayes. With 3divers you shouldn't have a problem picking your dive spots if you speak to the shop befor you travel.

Coz is great I stay at the InterContinental PRESIDENTE (nice price with my club discount) If you haven't bin, Coz has some of the best diving for the money anywhere.

Just a suggestion check out travelzoo.com for great rates on air/hotel prices to give you an idea.

Thank you EVERYONE for your wonderful advice. In the end, we booked a ticket to Ponce, Puerto Rico. Jet Blue was having a special, and it worked for the Presidents Day weekend: flight out at midnight on Thursday and returning Tuesday morning in time to get to work (so we only miss one day at the J-o-b). Plus, it's one of the few Caribbean countries I haven't been to (though I haven't dived in that many), and Puerto Rico has such a presence in NYC.

However, we are hoping to plan another trip for May, and will definitely take into account all the tips.

If anyone has been diving around the Ponce area (we've read a little about Parguera Divers), then we'd really appreciate advice on dive outfits, dive sites, and budget accomodation options.

Thanks again, Scubaboard. Love, love this site.

Hapadiver
Brooklyn, NY

How about Grand Cayman. You would have multiple options for airlines. I would stay out at the East End and dive with Ocean frontiers. They have great packages with car (you will need it). They are a joy to dive with and for a quick juant you could still get a respectable amount of diving in.

Adam

Certified at Queens College, so I picked up scuba on the cheap.
There's a great dive shop in Lindenhurst (LI Divers) if you need info on equipment/local diving.

hapadiver:
In the end, we booked a ticket to Ponce, Puerto Rico. Jet Blue was having a special, and it worked for the Presidents Day weekend: flight out at midnight on Thursday and returning Tuesday morning in time to get to work (so we only miss one day at the J-o-b). Plus, it's one of the few Caribbean countries I haven't been to (though I haven't dived in that many), and Puerto Rico has such a presence in NYC.

If anyone has been diving around the Ponce area (we've read a little about Parguera Divers), then we'd really appreciate advice on dive outfits, dive sites, and budget accomodation options.
Just don't stay at Copamarina Beach Resort in Guanica.
I stopped in Parguera, and it looked as if there were numerous options re: accomodations

Check out:
http://escape.topuertorico.com or trip advisor

dbosullivan:
Certified at Queens College, so I picked up scuba on the cheap.
There's a great dive shop in Lindenhurst (LI Divers) if you need info on equipment/local diving.

What is local diving like ? Temps ? Vis ?

Cold (quarter inch at least; dry suit a better bet at depth) with crappy vis (better as you go east) , but great wrecks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom