Need quick help on OMS pee Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Headed down to LDS (want to buy from them if possible) to buy a pee valve. They only sell OMS pee valve. Two questions:

1) LDS says it's balanced, but I don't see it online. Is it?

2) Choices are a. Stainless Steel b. Teflon Coated Hardcoat Anodized aluminum and c. NEW rugged Delrin. Which is best?

C) Any other opinions?

This is just an educated guess, but if it is "automatic" as their website claims, then I think that would mean it is balanced.

Quoting from the book Dressed For Success...

"The balanced valve has a separate balancing chamber that equalizes the pressure of the valve with that of inside your dry suit, making it somewhat easier to relieve yourself at depth. In all honesty, the author has never found an appreciable difference between the balanced or unbalanced types. The greatest benefit is that the balancing chamber provides a barrier between the water and the diver. That is to say, the outside environment cannot backwash into the system as a one-way valve controls flow. The non-balanced valve is simply a vent to the outside." [Emphases added]

Tod:
This is just an educated guess, but if it is "automatic" as their website claims, then I think that would mean it is balanced.

Quoting from the book Dressed For Success...

"The balanced valve has a separate balancing chamber that equalizes the pressure of the valve with that of inside your dry suit, making it somewhat easier to relieve yourself at depth. In all honesty, the author has never found an appreciable difference between the balanced or unbalanced types. The greatest benefit is that the balancing chamber provides a barrier between the water and the diver. That is to say, the outside environment cannot backwash into the system as a one-way valve controls flow. The non-balanced valve is simply a vent to the outside." [Emphases added]
Thanks. What about #2: Choices are a. Stainless Steel b. Teflon Coated Hardcoat Anodized aluminum and c. NEW rugged Delrin. Which is best?

If it is as big as I remember them being, take a look at a Halcyon, Salvo, style P-valve. Much smaller surface area. If you are set on the OMS style - I have heard the SS is very heavy (so, it can pull down on the suit). Any would work fine.

I replaced my Halcyon with the new delrin model. Yes, it is balanced. You can't see it, because everything is self contained. Size wise, the two are fairly similar. I like not having to worry about losing the bolt or having it catch on the kelp.

Tod:
The greatest benefit is that the balancing chamber provides a barrier between the water and the diver. That is to say, the outside environment cannot backwash into the system as a one-way valve controls flow. The non-balanced valve is simply a vent to the outside." [Emphases added]

This weekend, my buddy found out the hard way, that the balancing chamber and one-way valve don't do squat when the hose pops off. Luckily, he was able to close the bolt before his leg was completely drenched.

I've got the OMS in stainless steel. Installed it in 2002 on a DUI 450. It's worked flawlessly ever since. I'm not a huge OMS fan, however, I've gotta hand it to them on their plumbing - its hard to think of how any valve could possibly work any better. Just run some vinegar through it periodically, and forget its there. They're excellent.

Doc - I have heard the SS one is heavy and can pull at the material. Do you find that actually happening?

Thanks
Eric

PS - how is that Weezle Suit?

ericfine50:
Doc - I have heard the SS one is heavy and can pull at the material. Do you find that actually happening?

Thanks
Eric

PS - how is that Weezle Suit?
I ordered the Teflon Coated Hardcoat Anodized aluminum as a compromise between robustness and weight.

Yes, Doc. What about the Weezle? Warm??

I bought the Delrin valve because my suit is very thin (2-layer Mobby's shell suit). It works great and is very light.

Considering that any drysuit is just various layers of plastic and cloth, any of the valves is way stronger than what it's attached to, so it wouldn't seem to make a big difference what the valve was made of.

The plastic valve works great and is low maintenance. There are no bolts to play with. Just connect the hose and go diving.

Terry

Rick Inman:
Headed down to LDS (want to buy from them if possible) to buy a pee valve. They only sell OMS pee valve. Two questions:

1) LDS says it's balanced, but I don't see it online. Is it?

2) Choices are a. Stainless Steel b. Teflon Coated Hardcoat Anodized aluminum and c. NEW rugged Delrin. Which is best?

C) Any other opinions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom