Need Printer Advice quick (before rebate expires)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bough a 5MP digital camera (C5050). I was planning on getting a printer next month, but saw what looks like a very good deal now. Its an Epson 1280 for $400. It comes with Photoshop Elements software (which I had planned to buy anyway for $100) and a $50 Comp USA gift certificate. Ergo..its effectively a $250 printer.

Its a big format printer (up to 14" X 33"). I noticed, however, that the print resolution is 1440 X720, and that another printer I saw there was something like twice that (like 2880 X 1440). It only printed smaller prints, but in general, I would rather have high resolution prints than big prints. The salesman told me he would still go with the Epson because it has 6 colors and the print cartridges work differently or something (like maybe they bleed less or penetrate the paper deeper) (unless I was going to use it mostly as an office text computer in which case he suggested the other one). It is all mostly gobbeldy gook to me. I normally research these things until its not gobbeldy gook, but I have to act quick to get this deal and it does sound like a good one. So I guess my question is whether his advice makes sense. If I look at a photo from my 5MP camera thats printed on a printer that does 1440 X 720 PPI, will it neccesarily look worse than the same photo printed on a printer that does someting like 2880 X 1440 dpi? I'm confused.

Thanks a bunch,
Dave

Epson 1280 is a great printer. The six color system is one of its key features. There is an issue with one of the high end Epson's about metamerism. It means that the prints look different under different light sources (sunlight, flourescent, incandescent). I think, however, it is the 2000, not the 1280 that displays this problem. The 1280 prints need to be displayed under glass if you want the optimum longevity from the prints. However, since you have the digital file and a printer, I think this issue is way overblown.

I say, "Go for it!" Sounds like a great deal.

I have the Epson 2200, but it is nearly triple the net price you are looking at.

I use an el-cheapo <$200 Epson 810 (might be known as a different model number in the US). It uses the same 6 cartridge system. The prints that come out are fantastic. I usually print in 720dpi and can't perceive any difference at 1440 or 2880.

They have an excellent (if not the best) range of photo paper - try the premium glossy photo paper and film.

Be warned - it's very heavy on consumables...

Gets a resounding "two thumbs up" from us.

About 2 years ago we switched from slide film to digital for our u/w photos. After a year of taking them in to be printed we decided it was more logical to invest in the Epson Stylus Photo 1280. At the time it cost about $350.

It's been well worth the price. Since our digital camera is 4.1MegaPixels, we can make our own photo-quality prints that are every bit as crsip and bright as those from our slides. Usually we do 8" x 10" for our wall, but the Epson can easily handle 14" x 17" without losing any detail.

And of course with Adobe Photoshop we can do anything we need or want pre-printing.....

So go for it!

~SubMariner~

~Sub~......

Did you do anything to calibrate your monitor to your printer? I'm concerned that the photos won't look like they do on my screen.

The last time I tried printing anything the photos were too dark. 'Course my cheezy HP713 printer isn't exactly known for it's photo quality although it didn't do too bad.

Not sure if this is available for Epson US but I found this for Epson Australia. They have ICC Colour Profiles and also a guide for calibrating Adobe Photoshop 6.x. I'm sure they have this for other models. Another reason why I like Epson printers :)...

http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp?id=stylusPhoto810&platform=winxp&submit=Search+>>

and

ftp://ftp.epson.com.au/pub/epson/drivers/ICMprofiles/EPSON_Australia_RGB_Printing_Guide.pdf

You can use more accurate methods with caliberation spiders, but they're quite expy.

ReyeR....does it matter that I'm in the US? Is there any reason we shouldn't be able to download and use the ICC profiles?

I need to see if I can use them with PS Elements

I think it's got to do with the fact that monitors (CRT) for the southern hemisphere are made differently - something to do with the magnetic field it think.... :confused:

ReyeR once bubbled...
I think it's got to do with the fact that monitors (CRT) for the southern hemisphere are made differently - something to do with the magnetic field it think.... :confused:

Is that for real? I know you guys are on the opposite side of the earth and all that but my old Daddy would say you're trying to pull my leg! :wink:

my old Daddy would say you're trying to pull my leg
:D apparently the water in the toilet bowl flushes the other way too (CW or CCW - can't remember) !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom