need Possum Kingdom Info.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We are going to Possum Kingdom in March. I've been there but haven't gone diving there. What part is the best for diving. How deep is it and what is the visibility like? Any cool things to see there? Thanks for the info...:D

Thanks for the link. Where should I go in a boat to dive? How is Hells Gate diving?

I dove PK with my son and his friend in August of 2005. We dove right there at Scuba Point, which has an alleged scuba park. To be honest, the visibility was SOOOOO BAD that we could not even find some of the "attractions". Even in August, the water was VERY cold. You could feel huge changes in temperature at about 50'. They were very nice people, and the rental gear was fine, but the horrible vis made it pretty miserable. I have not dived at any other locations at PK. I tried to call them last week to see if anyone ever found a fin that my son lost in the abyss. I got no answer, and no call back. Last year their website said something about opening in April. They may be closed for the winter. Sorry I could not be more help. Enjoy your dive.

Tom

hells gate is a dive that you need to be careful of because it sits in the middle of a area where boats are coming through all the time and it wouild be best it you had someone on the boat to keep a eye out for you.

as for the conditions its a deep, dark and cold dive even in july when i attempted mine (aborted due to a equalization problem- got to 70 feet and couldnt clear). around the center of the gate its in 90+ foot range but beyond that i have no clue because i havent been able to complete a dive yet.

another on the general visablity in the lake is poor because of a fish kill a couple of years ago and mini kills since then. also the silt on the bottom is fine so if you hit it any viz you had is gone.

the lake it self is interesting to dive because of the topography under the water. from where i was working this past summer i would go in off our boat dock and do a out and back pattern following the bottom and it was like flying a canyon, but a strong dive light is needed because once it gets dark its pitch black and by 50 to 70 feet there is no natraul light left that.

FWIW

Tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom