Need Pee Valve Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mvoz

New
Reaction score
I've never used a pee-valve until last week. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but problems with it. The rubber tube that inserts into the condom catheter is leaking between the tube and condom, or it pops out when in use. At first, it was hard to insert the tube into a new condom, but now it seems easy--almost too easy. Am I inserting the tube into the condom wrong or is there a defect with the tube?

I've never used a pee-valve until last week. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but problems with it. The rubber tube that inserts into the condom catheter is leaking between the tube and condom, or it pops out when in use. At first, it was hard to insert the tube into a new condom, but now it seems easy--almost too easy. Am I inserting the tube into the condom wrong or is there a defect with the tube?

The hose should be a snug fit in the catheter. In fact, I have to "lube" the tube with some skin oil (usually the side of your nose or forehead has a little oil on it). If you can just push the tube right in to the end of the catheter, the tube is too small.

You can fix this by going o the hardware store and bringing along a catheter and using it for sizing.

Once you have the right size tube, ask the guy for a "nylon hose-barb adapter" that fits your valve (I beleive it's 1/8" NPT) and the tubing .

Now, go over to the o-ring aisle and pick out a nice thick o-ring that just fits over the end of the tube.

To use,

• Roll the o-ring over the end of the catheter as far as it will go.
  • Rub your fingers on the side of your nose, then rub the end of the tube with your fingers. This will let the lightly lube the tube.
  • Slide the tube into the catheter until it just reaches the o-ring.
  • Roll the o-ring down to seal the catheter to the tubing.
  • No leaks!
Some people have quick disconnects, but I'm a big believer in not adding unnecessary plumbing, since what you don't have, won't leak.

Terry

This may be over simplifying. The rubber tube needs to have a plastic "barb" fitting in the end of it. This barb is what fits into the catheter and NOT the tube.

I used two different catheters in the last couple of weeks, one that leaked a tiny bit - just enough to "piss" me off (get it?), the other has not had a problem at all. Both with the same pee valve. So the make I now use is called WideBand (I like the name also) by Rochester Medical. They cost about $2.50 CDN (about the same in the US these days).

You seems to be missing the fitting, the rubber tube does no insert into the condom, it is fitted on one side of the plastic connector and the condom is fitted on the other side. With this fitting not only it does not slip off or leak, It takes quire a force to disconnect the condom. Mine came with the Halcyon valve

We find the "Rochester Medical" has the best Catheters. A lot of the ones, especially "Freedom" are awful. Here's the link if you want to try them out.

Medium 29 mm condom for p-valve

hm, have found rochesters being awful, so much glue that it sticks to everything while putting it on and very difficult to take them off. and really had no problems with freedom ones. They stick quite well and I usually have difficulty taking them off either. So in reality I never understood why they praise the rochesters :)

Depends. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Yuk.

Pee valves are GREAT when you get them to work...

What brand valve do you have? I've used 2, the OMS and Halcyon valves. Because you said it was leaking from the mating of the catheter and tube, try using an O-ring to hold the 2 together. When you slide the tube into the catheter, slide the O-ring over the tube and catheter.

Also, what brand condom are you using? I've included a pic of a good quality type that WONT come off. It's a latex catheter used in hospitals. It's designed to last a long time and is more durable than those that come with the pee valves. You should be able to get them at any home health DME store for not too much. Also, try coating your little diver in tincture of benzoin (can be purchased at the same DME store), it will keep the catheter from leaking.

hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom