Need Looe Key Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgj

Registered
Reaction score
Plan to vacation with the family in Looe Key. I would like recommendations on dive operators and resorts/ motels/ hotels.
Thanks

Parmer's Resort, a couple miles north has lots of room for kids to run around and is conveniently located between Looe Key and Big Pine Key.

A couple years ago I stayed at and used Looe Key Dive Resort. They have a nice tiki bar, but the rooms were so-so, as was the dive operation. I didn't use them on later trips.

There are couple of dive ops on Big Pine Key which go out to Looe Key and Aldolphus Busch. http://thefloridakeys.com/bigpine/diving.htm Unfortunately, Jim Wyatt has shut down Reef-Divers and moved up to cave country, so that's no longer an option.

Charlie99:
Parmer's Resort, a couple miles north has lots of room for kids to run around and is conveniently located between Looe Key and Big Pine Key.

A couple years ago I stayed at and used Looe Key Dive Resort. They have a nice tiki bar, but the rooms were so-so, as was the dive operation. I didn't use them on later trips.

There are couple of dive ops on Big Pine Key which go out to Looe Key and Aldolphus Busch. http://thefloridakeys.com/bigpine/diving.htm Unfortunately, Jim Wyatt has shut down Reef-Divers and moved up to cave country, so that's no longer an option.
Jim Wyatt's boat is now owned and operated by Rachel Chalmson under the name "Wreckreation Charters". The boat and shop are still located at Cudjoe Key Marina (a couple of blocks behind the Sheriff's Substation at mile marker 21 oceanside). HarleyDiver & I dove Looe Key with her a few weeks ago, and had a great time! You can reach Rachel at (305) 515-2750. Enjoy!

Thanks Brent!

I was about to offer up my services, but you beat me to it!

Rachel

Sounds like you should go with the Wreckreation Charters boat.

I have dove with the Looe Key Resort crowd and it was down right aweful. More of a snorkeling boat full of kids with a few divers that made the mistake of getting on the boat.

Have a good time in the Keys. Scuba, Eat conch fritters, conch salad, conch chowder drink Kahlik, Red Stripe and watch the sunset.

Orlando Eric:
Sounds like you should go with the Wreckreation Charters boat.

I have dove with the Looe Key Resort crowd and it was down right aweful. More of a snorkeling boat full of kids with a few divers that made the mistake of getting on the boat.

We did the Looe Key Resort dive last Saturday, and yes, there were snorklers on the boat but the crew was great, they kept everybody well segregated, and things went smooth and happy. Three tank Saturday dive for $70.00 including the Busch. I can't really complain at all.

CajunNms:
We did the Looe Key Resort dive last Saturday, and yes, there were snorklers on the boat but the crew was great, they kept everybody well segregated, and things went smooth and happy. Three tank Saturday dive for $70.00 including the Busch. I can't really complain at all.
What did the snorklers do while you were on the Busch?

--------------------

My problems with the dive op was the compilation of a bunch of things....

AL80 tanks pumped to 3700psi because of a sticking gauge needle on the fill panel.

Rental gear with corrosion on the inlet filters.

One of the engines kept beeping away due to some problem. After 3 days, they still hadn't managed to get it fixed. (They were having a hard time identifying and acquiring the right replacement part, and if this were the only problem, I would just write it off as normal boat maintenance hassles)

Their tendency to cancel out because of not enough divers. One one day we all got together and chipped in extra bucks to get the their minimum revenue needed to take out the boat.

Not an unsafe operation, but not a top notch one either.

Charlie99:
What did the snorklers do while you were on the Busch?

Good question, guess they enjoyed the sun? Really the snorklers could have been invisible for all it mattered. They were a non-issue. Divers were given total priority.
I think this was done by segementing the groups and staff.

The engines on the boat were new, the boat was very well maintained and the tanks were consistantly filled, and the staff was super. I've taken a bunch of trips over the years with other Big Pine area shops, some good and some bad.

Obviously its depending on who's working there, and other conditions you can have a great trip or a bad trip. I rate my current experience as very good. I've been diving for over 20 years, but its not saying you couldn't come back next week and its gone to pot.

They were also doing a night dive last Saturday, I was just too tired to want to do more that day.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom