Need Info Please...Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by KaylinQ
Thanks Kramer!

Question....is Palau still U.S. Territories?

No, they're independent now. I don't think Palau was ever US territory, just a US protectorate after WWII, formerly (like Truk) a Japanese protectorate.

Originally posted by Zugzug
Kramers is no longer in the Museum. They moved back around the first of March to the top of the building between the Carp building and the West Plaza. They replaced the old bar which was on the top floor.

Did you get a chance to eat there? How was it?

It was very good. They have some very interesting presentations on thier dishes. The one I like the best was the "fishermans" spear. It was 4 Kabobs with fish (I think it was Ono but not sure). The Kabobs are brought to the table of the foot tall stand. The things they put the food on are more interesting than the food itself. But the food was very good, and the price was very good. We ate there about 3xs during the week we were there.

Ohhh, while I'm at it, if you are feeling brave try the "Fruit Bat Soup" at Carps. We had a japanese guy who will eat anything in our group who ordered it. For $18 they bring a huge bowl of coconout soup with a 10" whole fruit bat floating in it. Fur, Teeth, Claws, eyes, wings and all. It was something else to say the least.

Originally posted by Zugzug
It was very good. They have some very interesting presentations on thier dishes. The one I like the best was the "fishermans" spear. It was 4 Kabobs with fish (I think it was Ono but not sure). The Kabobs are brought to the table of the foot tall stand. The things they put the food on are more interesting than the food itself. But the food was very good, and the price was very good. We ate there about 3xs during the week we were there.

Ohhh, while I'm at it, if you are feeling brave try the "Fruit Bat Soup" at Carps. We had a japanese guy who will eat anything in our group who ordered it. For $18 they bring a huge bowl of coconout soup with a 10" whole fruit bat floating in it. Fur, Teeth, Claws, eyes, wings and all. It was something else to say the least.

Please, Please, Please, do not order the Fruit Bat!
The Fruit Bat is a threatened species. Many people order it for its novelty aspect and then don't even eat it.
Ok, I'm off my soapbox.
Nice to hear that Kramer's is still good eats. I always get a little concerned when good businesses move up or get bigger. Most of the time service and quality are adversely impacted. I can't remember the name of the chief/part owner, but he always came out to our table to see how things were, a very nice man. In conversation I mentioned that I loved spicy foods. When we went back two nights later, he had prepared a roasted jalapeno relish that was fantastic.

Wow endagered. I had no idea. I double checked a couple of web sites and you are correct. I've been to Palau a couple of times and I've never seen anything mentioned on it. It appears that one of the two types on the island is already extinct.

Thanks for the info :

just checked in to see what else was going on in here before boarding the plane to palau in 4 hours...lol. ewwww! Fruit Bats! :eek: *wonders if they have pizza and hamburgers...lol* Thanks all! :eek:ut:

Palau is a great place to dive, I recommend Fish & Fins dive shop for land base diving, Francis will do you right.
As for places to eat, there all pretty good places depending on your taste. The hotel by the Fish & Fins serves very good food. Farasotas downtown Koror has a great seafood platter. You will have to try the coconut crab. The diving is spectalure to say the least. I have logger about 50 dives in Palau and have never come away disappointed.

I enjoyed the year and half I lived there, woud like to go back in the near furture.

Happy diving
Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom