Need Info. on Twin Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all you Twin Lake experts! My two oldest boyz who are 12 and 10 just passed their PADI open water certification and so we want to take them someplace to dive besides our local swamp Smith Lake!

I'd like info on Twin Lakes, such as how to get there from Houston and how far it is.

Water temps, depth, visibility, what to see, etc. Is there a swimming area for granny and the two younger boyz to hang out at, a place nearby for our motor home, etc.

Any info. would be much appreciated! :)

Twin Lakes is on Hwy 6, about 1.5 mi. south of 288. I get there via I-10 to Beltway8 to left on 288 to left on 6. Don't know which direction you're coming from so your route may vary.

Conditions vary depending on how many students and rototiller divers there are. The bottom is very silty but the viz is usually around 8-10ft. Temps right now are around 83 on the surface and in the 60's below the thermocline at 27-28ft. There's a few boats, a waverunner, and some platforms on the west end. An old bus on the east end and some neat trees. The bottom can also be interesting but it's cold!

Swimmers are welcome as long as they don't clog up the docks! There are picnic tables scattered around. As far as your RV, the lakes are behind an RV park so it depends on how long you want to stay! With the rain we've had the last month, I doubt you can drive it down to the lake as there's no place to park it that would be firm enough....some of the road is still unpaved. We have to be careful where we park the cars/trucks!

www.scubapark.net
is the address for the park.$12 per diver all day,if air is needed ,for now The Reef is a short 15 min.ride @ $6 a puff.Be sure to bring a pack of those tasty peanut butter with chive`s snack crackers to feed the fish....they tend to hold a grudge if you ignore them!:D
Make sure your C cards are available,if not ,it is a long dry drive back home!See ya`ll soon!

Thanks Dee and TPH.

Some questions. The website mentioned having to have a dive flag. How does that work? I've never been where I had to use one before. Do they have them at the park or would I have to buy one of my own. Do you have to stay within a certain distance from your flag? Can you pull it around with you???

Also, at what depth are these boats and buses?

I'm surprised it is so cold down deeper. Is there anything to see at shallower depths so I don't have to go buy a new wetsuit? I only own a shortie.

Thanks!

G4boyz

Hello, you won't need a dive flag just your c-card and the $12. There’s a lot to see above the thermo so unless you just have to get a bit deeper you should be fine. There’s lots of fish plus the bus and a few other things. My advice would be to bring an extra lawn chair or two but they do have some picnic tables.

Geek

I did a detailed report on Twin Lakes after my first trip there. I am going to attempt to attach it to this post. The original report was in Microsoft Word format and included a few pictures. If you would like this version, PM me and I will forward the original file to you. A text only version is included here.

got4boyz once bubbled...
Thanks Dee and TPH.

Some questions. The website mentioned having to have a dive flag. How does that work? I've never been where I had to use one before. Do they have them at the park or would I have to buy one of my own. Do you have to stay within a certain distance from your flag? Can you pull it around with you???

Also, at what depth are these boats and buses?

I'm surprised it is so cold down deeper. Is there anything to see at shallower depths so I don't have to go buy a new wetsuit? I only own a shortie.

Thanks!

Don't worry about a dive flag. A couple of the boats are in 15ft of water, there's one at 25-30ft and the top of the buss is at 12ft. So there's plenty to see in the warmer shallow depths. All along the edges is lots of plants, grasses mostly. The vegetation line runs about 18-20ft and it's full of fish. We've been feeding them for months so be prepared to be swarmed at times. Some will nibble on you but as a rule they just follow you around. Yesterday the temp was 83º down to about 25ft. You'll be fine in your shorty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom