Need info on grand cayman.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking for calm water then I wouldn't necessarily recommend the East End of Grand Cayman where Ocean Frontiers dive. It is the windward side of the Island and the seas tend to average 2-4 feet or higher in the winter (correct me if this is wrong Drew!) Occasionally the weather will calm the South side of the East End right down at this time of year but this is a long shot!

For calm seas and very short boat rides you will want to dive the West side of the Island at least until you have a couple of dives under your belt and have the confidence to tackle the slightly rougher seas of the North wall or East End.

Either way, anywhere in Grand Cayman would be a great place for your first ocean dives.

Good luck,

CJ

CJ's:
If you are looking for calm water then I wouldn't necessarily recommend the East End of Grand Cayman where Ocean Frontiers dive. It is the windward side of the Island and the seas tend to average 2-4 feet or higher in the winter (correct me if this is wrong Drew!) Occasionally the weather will calm the South side of the East End right down at this time of year but this is a long shot!

Operative word is average! Some days are below average, and some days are well above average! Indeed, those nor'westers are only occasional visitors, and most (90%+) of the time the seas will be calmer on the west side. Dives are rarely cancelled outright on East End, but seas may be less than ideal for those with weaker stomachs.

Still, I have to say that I really love those East End dives and can't wait to get back to that end of the island soon.

Hi Drew,
I was giving you the benefit of a good average there! I bet you're deaming of getting back out there on a blustery January morning with some 8 footers coming through the cuts!
May the summer last forever!!
See you out there,
CJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom