Need Info on Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello again.

Curly One, thanks for your post. I have spoken with salesman from Bauer, Max Air, Rix and Alkin and had pretty much decided on the gas-powered Alkin 31. Unfortunately my husband is reluctant to purchase one. He's not as avid a diver as I am, and doesn't dive as often as I do, so I'm meeting some resistance there. :(

Uncle Pug, you brought up a point I hadn't considered, a couple hours hearing the compressor disturbing the peace. I'm not so concerned about my peace, but what about those who may be camping around me? Just how quiet is this Alkin 31 Curly One?

Captain, that is amazing you've had a compressor that long. May I have your second one, LOL. (Just kidding of course, but that's impressive.)

Erik, you brought up a couple great thoughts. Maybe I could buy the large storage bottles and have them filled at a dive shop then just transfer them to my scuba tanks. What sizes do they come in and how do you fill the scuba tanks from them?

I also like the thought of renting a compressor. But that might be hard to find someone I could rent from.

I really want the freedom of a compressor though. So many places I want to dive.

Thanks again all for your suggestions! :)

Hi Curly One (Bruce),

I just saw your signature line and realized who you were. I'm the one who called you about the Alkin 31 who grew up near where your sister in Idaho lives. Wish I would be dropping by on my way to Idaho next week, but hubby isn't too thrilled with the idea. And he's the one who makes the money so I can't argue too much now can I! LOL :)

got4boyz:
I don't know if this is where I should post this, but here goes.

I plan on diving some remote places this summer (and in the future) that are 3 to 4 hours from the closest dive shop. I really would rather not have to rent 12 tanks to be able to do the diving I want, especially since I want to keep them for 3 -4 days because I want to hang out and do other things after I dive a couple days.

So I'm thinking it would be really cool to have my own compressor, but know absolutely nothing about them!

I have a motorhome with large basement storage I was hoping I could install one in and take whereever I go.

Can anyone tell me what is the smallest compressor available and how much I can expect to pay for it? How big and how heavy would it be? How do they work, what runs them? (I'm sure it is electricity, but would a generator be strong enough?) What type of upkeep is needed for them, etc?

Any info you could tell me would be very much appreciated. :07:
Ok Read all the coments. Took some time here's my two cents.
Buy 6 used tanks 80cuft @75.00 =450.00 Have them serviced and filled= 150-200. Don't buy a compressor Contact one of the folks that do storage Buy 8 400cuft 4000 psi bottles to cascade they can be mounted in your motor home or you can get a small portable trailer. By cascading you should be able to do all your weekend dives and have air to spare. You need a dive store who is willing to fill them. Savings Your time, frustration, safty (the store has their air tested and mantains there system filtration must be done correctly or it can kill you. old oil can hurt you as well. Break downs are comon Are you personally mechanical? Do you want to spend your time diving or working on a compressor?
If you shop around you can get used storage bottles , whips and set yourself up inexpensively I setup a new system with a used booster pump 8 bottles w/whips and valves and got into it for under 2000.00 Shop around If it was me I'd do the trailer so my motor home wasn't always lugging the weight.
I would call this man. Keith Seifers he has systems and used compressors its all he does.360-758-2224 he may not get back to you right away he's worth the weight er wait he he sorry a litle diving humor.

You may not be able to find a shop able or willing to fill 8 400cu ft bottles if you are traveling and away from home for a few weeks. As far as the compressor noise I would set up far enough away so as to not bother anyone. End of the day tank filling time is cocktail time also and we would hoist a few cold ones while running the compressor. Never had any trips interrupted by compressor problems. Don't let the bad air story scare you. I think you would be more likely to get bad air from a shop than your own well maintained compressor.

Captain

Thanks for your comments wrangler!

OK, you bring up some interesting points here. I really want the compressor but the hubbie's not willing yet to pay that kind of money so this could be an option. However I have some questions. How many 80cf Scuba tanks will one 400cf bottle fill? What do you mean by cascading? How do you fill the 80 tanks from the larger ones?

I would have to have the tanks in the motorhome because I pull a car behind the motor home, but there is a lot of storage underneath it.

Since the twins aren't diving yet, I could get by with fewer tanks for now and add more in a year.

I guess my only concern is what captain mentioned as far as finding a shop willing/able to fill the larger bottles.

Thanks!

when you cascade bottles you use the one that is lowest on air to partially fill your scuba tank, then top it off with a higher pressure bottle. For instance you have one 444 cf tank that has 3000 PSI and one that has 4500 PSI. Your SCUBA tank is empty so you fill it with the 3000 PSI as much as it will go say 2600 PSI then you top it off the 4500 PSI bottle, that way you can use more of the air in the tanks before you have to refill them.
Each 444 cf bottle will fill 2 80 cf SCUBA tanks to 3000 PSI.
When you have say 4 bottles and cascade you should get 2 to 4 more fills on the SCUBA tanks.
Each 444 cf tank weighs 144 lbs empty, I do not know how much they weigh full.
Beth, that is funny that you are going back to Idaho, Wed. my sister and her 2 little girls will be here to visit from Idaho. I have not seen them in 2 years. We are really looking forward to seeing them, it is nice up there but they are so far away. Drive safe and talk to you soon, Curly (Bruce)

Beth,

You might want to wait and see. The cascade bottles are about 5 feet tall and 8 inches or so in diameter, plus over 150 pounds full. I think the only way this would work is if you had your own compressor!

The cascade bottles would need to be a permanent setup. You need access to the valves and would need to be able to drive right up to the air fill station. Otherwise it would be alot of setup, moving, taking down, and ......... You get the idea.

Try it with the rental tanks a few times. You may find you do not need 12 tanks. You said hubby is not as avid as you and twins do not dive yet. You may find the teens quickly find other interests.

I have three boyz, two are certified. I figured I would always have a dive buddy. Wrong. One is 20 and the other 18 and both have way more things to do than dive with dad.

The space required for four cascade bottles would be the same for the 12 tanks.

Plus if you travel with the 12 tanks a few times and let hubby take care of getting them, and taking them back etc. You might just get the funding for the compressor.

Mike

About 180 lbs. Air weighs about 7.5 lbs/100 cf. It's a handy number to know if you are in the air biz.

That said, I think the cascade is a lousy idea. It would end up costing almost as much as a compressor, add almost half a ton of weight to the RV, and contain significant explosive potential in the even of an accident. And she'd still have to buy her air!

Imagine driving up to a dive shop and saying "1600 cf of 444 psi, please". Would they want to check for visual stickers? Have a hose long enough to reach the RV (most shops around here don't even have an outside filler hose)? If the shop's cascade was low at the time, or they just didn't want to deplete it (lot of shops are funny about that) she could find herself parked there for an hour or two while the shop's compressor pounded away.

The Curly One:
Each 444 cf tank weighs 144 lbs empty, I do not know how much they weigh full.

Well, I was excited about the bottles for awhile thinking I had found my answer, but when Curly told me how big they were and how you have to fill the tanks with them I realized it wasn't going to work. Too much hastle as y'all have wisely pointed out! So thanks so much for your advice and concerns.

I guess I'm back to square one. I just won't be able to dive as much as I'd like to until hubby sees thing my way! LOL

But I have learned alot about compressors and bottles and cascading and all kinds of good to know stuff so I'll be better able to make a wise decision in the future.

So thanks to all for taking the time to help me out. Y'all are great! :07:

Curly - Your mom was telling me that your sister was coming down for a big reunion. That's great. If you ever get up to Idaho to visit her during the summer, we ought to get together and go diving at the Firehole in Yellowstone for the fun of it! :) And I could drop in as I pass by her house while I'm floating the Snake River in my kayak! LOL Hope y'all have a GREAT visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom