Need ideas for diving in Tampa area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spyfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be in Brandon, FL (Tampa) on June 26th and 27th. I am a new OW diver looking for a morning or afternoon trip for one of these days. I won't have a buddy so I will need to be able to join a group.

So far, my only idea is Crystal River. Any recommendations on operators? Seeing manatees isn't my top priority either so some of the other dives in that area, such as Rainbow River would be great too.

Any other recommendations for the Tampa area (within 2 hours drive)?

Thanks!

If you are going to Crystal River I would recommend using American Pro. I was certified through them. If you are in the Brandon area, there are some places to go off of St. Pete. If I am not mistaken there are some WWII tanks off the coast and some of the local shops go to them. There is good beach diving down in Venice. You can find some really nice sharks teeth down there. It is about an hour drive from where you are maybe hour and a half. If interested in caverns, Ocala has Blue Grotto which is perfect for a newer diver. Also Devils Den right around the corner from it. Ocala will be about a two hour drive for you. Hope this helps.

Check out Capt. Rod of diveclearwater. He knows lots of good numbers. Lots of room on his boat. Perfect for new OW.

Also, Capt. TJ Shear from fishanddivetampa. Fast boat and an excellent captain.

Don't want to do boat? hook up with someone here to do a shore dive from Spanish rock out of Anna Maria island , 20' ish so you can practice your skill. It's a shore dive so the viz is around 5-10' but you will get wet :).

Thanks for the suggestions!

I am going on a reef/wreck dive with Dive Clearwater. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom