need holiday travel advice, plz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm quickly becoming overwhelmed by all the info here. lol.
So I'm asking... nay, BEGGING for travel advice from you vets.

December - the holidays.. where to go for a week?
*not a live-aboard (til we resolve our sea-sick issues)
*not just boat diving (some cool shore diving too)
*not advanced diving (100' or less, low currents, good vis)
*not cold/rainy above or below the water (3mm fullsuit or less)
*not interested in party nightlife (but land adventure options would be great)

Belize, Caymans, Cozumel, Honduras, Bahamas, etc.... which one???? :)

I'd be very appreciative of any helpful advice, thanks.
cra2

cra2:

Home... or I get my wallet out. That's HIGH SEA$ON

Look at the Nekton Fleet of liveaboards, outer Bahamas and Belize (sounds like the cruise area for you!). Leave you dramamine in your duffel bag.

Bonaire and CoCoView

Advanced diving? I put Bonaire shore diving in that category. Currents would be also in that category. 100 feet? You aren't going to see much past 45' in the Caribbean that isn't an apex predator, anyway.

You're a DIR Cave Diver. I call that advanced.

End of hurricane season and you want what? We are talking the Caribbean here, right?

Skip Cayman, Cozumel, and the big islands (Freeport and Nassau) of the Bahamas... your list below. Belize is a big country with many small islands offshore. Not much shore diving, and even harder from the mainland... but you do have shore access to some wonderful non-dive diversions from Belize City. Honduras? The Bay Islands are diver friendly but very limited otherwise.

None, all, some. Yes. Maybe

cra2

You ask a question with oh so many answers. I have but a few, maybe others can chime in?

cra2:

cra2

Last december, we went to Curacao, staying at Sunset Waters (http://www.sunsetwaters.com/). It fits all the above specs. We booked the trip through Ultimate Dive Travel if I remember correctly. Would go there again in a heartbeat (great dive shop, good all-inclusive resort, easy transit to dive sites, calm waters, some shore diving from the hotel and other coves, good viz, mooring usually at 15-20 ft so great entertainment during your safety stop). Happy to elaborate if you want me to.

RoatanMan:
You ask a question with oh so many answers. I have but a few, maybe others can chime in?

I'm not sure if you gave answers, or just more questions. lol.

"None, all, some. Yes. Maybe"

????????

"Bonaire and CoCoView"

As you can see from my sig countdown, I'll be in Bonaire in 30 days. I'm asking about something different, for December. And didn't you post somewhere else that it rains nearly every day in CoCoView in December (even cancelling some dives)?

"End of hurricane season and you want what? We are talking the Caribbean here, right?"

Not necessarily. I included Central and South American examples.

"You're a DIR Cave Diver. I call that advanced."

What makes you think I'm a DIR-certified cave diver?
I joined the DIR discussion group on here, but that's about it. lol.

cra2:
I'm not sure if you gave answers, or just more questions. lol.

I think you got my point. You ask the unanswerable.

"None, all, some. Yes. Maybe"

????????

"Bonaire and CoCoView"

As you can see from my sig countdown, I'll be in Bonaire in 30 days. I'm asking about something different, for December. And didn't you post somewhere else that it rains nearly every day in CoCoView in December (even cancelling some dives)?

Twasn't me! It can pretty well be guaranteed that December will be rainy from San Andres to Cozumel, but CCV cancel a dive? Not likely. The boats are specifically designed for this kind of stuff. Some smaller operations may well cancel. Then there's always the CCV shore dive!

"End of hurricane season and you want what? We are talking the Caribbean here, right?"

Not necessarily. I included Central and South American examples.

A fine point of distinction. That which is Hurricane Season in the Mar Caribe becomes the "rainy season" along the Southern and Western shores of the Caribbean Basin. Expect rains from the ABC's, Los Roques, Margueritte, heading west to San Andres and Corn, The Bay Islands, Belize, Cisne, Cozumel and Cancun. One man's hurricane is another's rainy week.

"You're a DIR Cave Diver. I call that advanced."

What makes you think I'm a DIR-certified cave diver?

Well, your profile for one thing. I used to be a cave diver, before I knew that you needed a certification. I am now an "old" cave diver, meaning that I don't do that kind of stuff anymore. I have savored fine cuisine :11ztongue on many continents in the company of a crazed, half-tame wild-eyed :07: Armenian Gypsy (diver) girl... I know there is something else to live for beyond overhead environments!

I joined the DIR discussion group on here, but that's about it. lol.

"Joined" DIR Discussion group? And they let you get a word in edgewise? :11: George3 makes great kool aid, be sure to try the Lime Green. It seems to be a favorite! :eyebrow:

DIR philosophy is superb, and some of their techniques for finning and buoyancy are indeed biblical in importance. It does, however, contradict its own basic premise sheerly by the all-or-nothing approach. My advice: pick and select what you understand that will work for you. Master it all, then cast off what aint right. Then go on to the next religeon of diving skills. Do the same there. Don't be afraid to change your mind, at the same time, don't be swayed by arguments.

It was more to the point of "advanced" diving vs. other types. I see that you have been involved in such discussions before, trying to pin down precise deffinitions of what is advanced vs. beginner. Suffice to say, all diving is different, and if you have done a night dive backroll entry in current off of a small dory and then made a shore exit... that would be pretty advanced... but until you've made a moored boat entry in heavy current and used a john-line to make it to the down line... you don't know how that version works. Every situation is different.

The best of us take advice, pre-plan, ask questions, remain perfectly attentive during dive briefings, ask more questions, and pre-visualize. There is no easy dive that can't kill you.

Serious answer to your question? (as best I can ever be serious)... Go and enjoy. You are going to love Bonaire! Great shore diving potential, lots to see and do, great restaurants (especially if you get off the beaten path and go to the locals places... be adventurous!)

The Bay Islands seem to fit your needs the best. Unabashedly, I like CoCoView the most of the lot, and I've seen or dove them all.

Once again, though, if seasickness is an issue, do not discount the excellent possibility of the Nekton fleet. The boats are just solid blocks of square steel that move as much as most LA highrise buildings. Their Belize itinerrary is a great time, and you can hold over a few extra days and do the mainland Belize thing with the ruins, the tubing thru the cave, the Belize City Zoo... all the stuff that you do when you'd have been better off diving, but what the heck?

Your dive career isn't done with this trip. There's lots out there in the Caribbean and beyond that is worth a shot. There are some places in the Caribbean (largely the ones that are "easy" to get to) that you should well avoid. Much as we saw Cayman in the 70's, it has changed, and not for the better. The sooner you get to some of the "newly discovered" places, the better.

Then you can tell your kids, "Belize? Hell, I was there in 2005! You shoulda' seen it back then. Why yes, we were still using NitrOx back then, you little #%&#!whippersnapper!"

Go, have fun. Post your report here.

It will rain like crazy in Roatan during December. So far as Coco View goes, I think the diving is better on the North and West Side of Roatan.

You might try Grand Cayman. There are a few shore diving spots and most of the diving is easy. Main drawback is it is expensive, especially around Xmas.

There is a bit of shore diving in Cozumel, but all the boat diving will be drifting in a current. Actually, it is not that hard to do.

leadweight:
It will rain like crazy in Roatan during December. So far as Coco View goes, I think the diving is better on the North and West Side of Roatan.

Quite the opposite is true. When any weather comes down on the Bay Islands, It comes from the North. In that the island of Roatan is a thin line of earth that runs lying SW to NE, not only does the North side get bashed, but the West side as well.

(Better ops will have provision to dive on the South Side as well)

Thus, they call the storms "Northers"

RoatanMan:
Quite the opposite is true. When any weather comes down on the Bay Islands, It comes from the North. In that the island of Roatan is a thin line of earth that runs lying SW to NE, not only does the North side get bashed, but the West side as well.

(Better ops will have provision to dive on the South Side as well)

Thus, they call the storms "Northers"

You appear to be misinterpreting what I am saying.

A. December is a wet month. Yes, it will be wet all over the island, and as you say, things can get rough on the North side. The last time I went to Roatan in December the weather was so bad that my flite home was delayed for 48 hours. If you do not want to have a rainy vacation, I would not go to Roatan in December.

B. Unless there is an actual storm hitting the North or West side of the island, I would rather be diving there. The visibility is better and there is more marine life. The inlet between Coco View and Fantasy island has a way of messing up the vis in that area. Generally, the water is rougher on the South side.

So, perhaps in December the South side is better, but I would rather not be on Roatan during December, if I had my choice of somewhere else to go diving. Any other time, the North and West for me.

While I would prefer to be able to promote the Bay Island of Utila, Honduras, all year round, I have to confirm that December is not the best time to visit the island. While the temperature remains within a comfortable and tropical range, December is definitely the month with the most rain in Utila.

Check out the Utila Weather & Climate page on www.AboutUtila.com for the facts.

I still have more data (recently supplied by the weather station at the local Iguana Breeding & Research Station) to add to this page, but this data only further confirms that December is the height of the rainy season in Utila, (and therefore I presume all the Bay Islands).

April to September is a different story altogether.

Regards - Mark
WebMaster: www.AboutUtila.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom