need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they sell there stuff "AS IS" so I need help. I'm on a realy tite budget so I'm lost:rolleyes: . enyways thx:)

divebuddydale once bubbled...
I suggest that you do not buy online anything that is crucial to diving (i.e regs, tanks, BC's).
Dale

I haven't figured out the reasoning here, when folks say this. Doesn't make sense to me since I haven't heard anyone having knowledge about one set of manufacturing lines for online suppliers, and a second production line for the retail shops....

The only difference I'm aware of has to do with warranty issues, and some online places cover the saem as the manuf.

If they had two different manufacturing lines, I might agree.....But I have so far not heard anything like that.

Here is a cut and paste from their website.... try phoning the number (get your Dad to do it) and tell them you have been advised that it is not suitable for your climate. They may or may not agree to refund you..

"All used equipment is inspected by our technicians before being offered for sale. Please keep in mind, however, that it is sold to you "as-is", without any specific guarantees. If you are unhappy with the any merchandise received, including partial shipments, please call (206) 298-6998 to ask for a Merchandise Return Authorization Number. Equipment will not be accepted without a Merchandise Return Authorization Number. Full refund, less shipping and handling charges and credit card processing fees, if equipment is returned in the original box, unused and undamaged and postmarked or otherwise turned over to a carrier within 24 hours of delivery. We feel that this gives our customers enough time to look the equipment over, determine if the products will suit their needs, and even run it down to their local dive shop for an inspection. We recommend that all dive equipment be inspected by your local scuba technician prior to initial use. No returns, exchanges, refunds, or credits for Custom Products or other Special Orders."

Dale

scubasean once bubbled...

I haven't figured out the reasoning here, when folks say this. Doesn't make sense to me since I haven't heard anyone having knowledge about one set of manufacturing lines for online suppliers, and a second production line for the retail shops....

The only difference I'm aware of has to do with warranty issues, and some online places cover the saem as the manuf.

If they had two different manufacturing lines, I might agree.....But I have so far not heard anything like that.

Often when it is bought online, the warranty could be an issue, also if there is a problem with the gear, it is easier to return to the LDS than online. Shipping damage could occur, all shops check their equipment before it goes out (even if it is brand new) (most specifically Regs).

Also, where are you going to get your air from when the LDS closes because of the lack of sales? Lets send our tanks out to the local internet, air fill station.

I have bought some small items on EBAY for scuba (Knife, light) but bought most of my gear from a LDS I trust. This guy has helped me out in the past, so I give him the majority of my business..

Dale

The problem with buying online is the lack of support more than the lack of warranty.

A lot of new divers don't really know what's involved in set up, or even what to expect from what they are buying "Is that funny buzzing noise normal?".

If they have a friend who has the experience to guide them through the process, then I think it's fine, but a lot of new divers just aren't in that position.

If you shop around at various local dive stores you can often get deals close enough to online prices that the difference is worth it just for the support of the store.

ERP once bubbled...
The problem with buying online is the lack of support more than the lack of warranty.

A lot of new divers don't really know what's involved in set up, or even what to expect from what they are buying "Is that funny buzzing noise normal?".

If they have a friend who has the experience to guide them through the process, then I think it's fine, but a lot of new divers just aren't in that position.

If you shop around at various local dive stores you can often get deals close enough to online prices that the difference is worth it just for the support of the store.

All good points...I need to find the LDS good deals...So far, I'm not meeting with much success. :)

divebuddydale once bubbled...

Often when it is bought online, the warranty could be an issue, also if there is a problem with the gear, it is easier to return to the LDS than online. Shipping damage could occur, all shops check their equipment before it goes out (even if it is brand new) (most specifically Regs).

Also, where are you going to get your air from when the LDS closes because of the lack of sales? Lets send our tanks out to the local internet, air fill station.

Dale

Good points, but not on point with the question about why a person shouldn't buy critical gear online (unless you wouldn't be able to discern any shipping damage when it arrived).

Just curious...

I'm all for supporting the LDS...Just was wondering why you think some gear could be bought online and not the rest. If you want to support the LDS (to keep the air fills coming), it would seem that you should buy "all" of your gear there.

sorry for hijacking the thread...Was just curious...Lets go back on topic. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom