need help with nikon/olympus decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading some of the FACTS, care to explain these? The worst case of myoptic thinking I have ever seen.

"a 6MP DSLR image from a camera like the Nik. D-70 or Can. 300D will look far better than an 8MP image from a current prosumer camera like the C8080. Compare the noise from an ISO 64 prosumer image and one shot at ISO 200 using a DSLR and you will understand why. You can throw as much strobe light at it as you want, it'll make no difference - the fact is that, currently, the smaller sensor packed with more pixels exhibits a lot more noise, even at lower ISOs."

"As far as MPs go, the number has to be quadrupled for obvious improvements to show up, so forget about the extra 2MP, especially when comparing between a prosumer vs a DSLR."

"it's about pixel 'quality', not 'quantity'. Read and understand the point we are trying to make here, don't pick on meaningless numbers like "8080's lowest ISO is 50 and the 5050 is 64" and post links about noise tests."

"I have already done this side-by-side comparison - the D70 print looked superior by far. Infact, prints from a 5MP Olympus E-1 DSLR was far superior to the C8080. It was one of the deciding factors that prevented me from changing from a C5050 to a C8080 and seriously look at an affordable DSLR instead."

"After seeing Richard's (Tio, digitaldiver.net) stunning photos with the E-1, the E300 was looked at verrry verrry seriously (nearly ordered from Yuzo in Dec, 2004), with great hopes of Oly to produce a reasonably priced housing (as they have been with the PT/Cx0x0 series). The first look at the housing looked good but the recommended retail price made no sense. Current lack of an affordable wide-angle lens and no relevations of a dome port put the project on hold completely. If the housing was priced at about AU$800 (US$600) including a flat port for the 14-45, I tell you, the E300 would be in my hands right now."

Incredible!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom